This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47189 February 15th, 2006 at 05:58 AM
flycats Offline OP
OP Offline
I've seen on TV the large pavers with either lawn in between or some kind of groundcover. They have been used to create a patio. How are these irrigated? I can't imagine someone having sprinklers go on every day on a patio? how do you protect the furniture? It seems impractical. Does anyone know how this is done? My area is too hot in the summer for me to remember to water by hand every day. PLEEZE help. I'd like to creat something similar in my front yard to save money, instead of building a whole new concrete or flagstone patio. THANKS!

#47190 February 15th, 2006 at 06:10 AM
Because I live near the coast , the air and ground is always wet and holds moisture for a long time , but for your situation I would use small stones for a "grout" between the pavers. I also use crushed mussel shells for fillers and pathways, any crushed shells would work, the mussels we have are pretty blue/purple irredescent and free, I just have to collect them and while other people are scavenging the beaches for sand dollars and prettier shells I scoop up the mussel shells.

#47191 February 15th, 2006 at 06:13 AM
flycats Offline OP
OP Offline
OH so when I see those on Tv they probably live in a climate that wouldn't need irrigation...I see. OH well. thanks for the suggestion of the pebbles..sounds pretty! I'll try it out!

#47192 February 15th, 2006 at 06:23 AM
flycats Offline OP
OP Offline
I knew they built stuff on those TV shows that was impractical!! Like the time they built a sunken patio with no drainage line...hmmm I watched it a few times and could never figure out how they would handle the first large storm! ha ha.

#47193 February 15th, 2006 at 07:15 AM
Hi flycats. I'm in Calif. too. I don't have things between my paving stones. they are snug up against each other. If I did, I would use sprinklers. It's the only way to go in my semi-desrt local. And use furniture that could take it or no furniture.

#47194 February 15th, 2006 at 07:33 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
What about putting one of those hoses down with the holes in it and then laying the soil and then the paving stones and moss or thyme or whatever your going to use as a groundcover? That might work. Then just turn the water on very low so it didn't dislodge everything.

#47195 February 15th, 2006 at 11:03 PM
flycats Offline OP
OP Offline
Cool! I thought about that but didn't know if anyone had ever done it. The soaker tubing between the stones. THANKS everyone!

#47196 February 16th, 2006 at 12:19 AM
plant a groundcover that doesn't require so much water. Then just hose off the area once a fortnight or so.
The pavers will retain moisture underneath for a long time, even if it's a hot area I don't think you'd need to irrigate if you select the right plant. Though even if you do need a bit more water, why does it have to be wetting the furniture? Can't you just flood the area at ground level?

#47197 February 16th, 2006 at 01:37 AM
flycats Offline OP
OP Offline
It would we the furniture if you had to have spray heads to irrigate. I thought this would be how they irrigate pavers that have sod in between.

#47198 February 17th, 2006 at 01:45 AM
Well, i don't think spray heads would be necessary and definitely not daily waterings.
Esp if you used a hardy herb like a prostrate thyme, say, Woolly thyme (Thymus pseudolanuginosus) or similar.
As an experiment, why not put a small section of 4 or 6 or so pavers onto the soil, maybe cut out a bit of lawn and do it in full sun, give it a good wet, lay the pavers down and see how long it takes for the moisture to dry up under the pavers. I'll bet it's still moist after a week. Probably longer even with decent drainage.
One thing though, make sure the drainage is good under the pavers. If it holds too much moisture you'll get problems.

#47199 February 17th, 2006 at 04:50 AM
flycats Offline OP
OP Offline
Great idea! THANKS!

Link Copied to Clipboard