This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46541 July 5th, 2006 at 05:56 AM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
The title of this thread is a bit misleading. This was NOT a landing gear failure. I was looking out my backdoor at a Starling, when it SUDDENLY fell forward on its breast with its wings outspread and proceeded to lie like that for two or three minutes. Then it rolled from side to side, stretching the wing and leg on each side in turn. Looking around I noticed the House Sparrows and even an American Robin in my back yard were doing almost the exact same thing. My guess is that they were either sunning themselves, cooling themselves, and/or trying to get rid of mites. It was the first time I've ever noticed this behavior.

OOPS!
[Linked Image]

Great picture, Thornius. I have a small "dusting" patch of ground near the bird bath. It's always fun to watch the birds roll around in the dust then stretch out in the sun for a few minutes. The first time I spotted this activity was a big, old Brown Thrasher that hung around here a lot. I looked out the kitchen window and saw him spread-eagled in the yard and ran out to rescue him. lol! I was so relieved he flew away although I know he was probably muttering under his breath at me for waking him up. laugh

That is very odd behavior Thorny. Neat pic though!

Thorny my barn swallows were doing that too on the wooden deck. We (me and the real estate guy next door at work)thought there was something wrong at first. But I walked over and he/she looked at me like 'what you never saw a bird sunbathe?' and reluctantly flew up to her/his nest.

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That is a fantastic picture Thorn, And I love learning all this facinating stuff too. Thankyou very much.

Link Copied to Clipboard