This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46172 June 6th, 2006 at 10:08 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hi all.

My friend moved into a new house a few years ago and is now wanting to do something about the yards.

The back yard is mostly shade due to some very large trees and bushes. And I don't think she is going to be able to get rid of them any time soon. It will get a few hours of mid-morning sun.

She likes all colors especially White, Purple, and Yellow. And since she is a new gardener with a new baby we are looking for easy care and drought tolerant.

The last owner was a gardener and the soil is still in amazing shape. I wish my soil was that good.

So far she likes

Iresine
Delphinium
Ballon flower
Veronica

Can you please add to the list some?

#46173 June 7th, 2006 at 02:41 AM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
These are all in my shade garden

Hosta (Plantation lily)not much for flowers but some amazing foliage
Astilbe (comes in at least 3 or 4 different colors)
Bleeding Heart
Lupine

#46174 June 7th, 2006 at 03:06 AM
J
J
I have some primroses in a shady area of my garden under huge evergreen trees - they come in all sorts of colors incl yellow.
Also try yellow loosestrife - has small yellow flowers - this is in the same area, only with a bit more sun.
Catmint will grow just about anywhere - and has purple flowers.
Good luck!

#46175 June 7th, 2006 at 06:49 AM
How about Jacobs Ladder and Ligularia

#46176 June 8th, 2006 at 08:03 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Thank you for the suggestions.

#46177 June 9th, 2006 at 04:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hydrangea love shade. also some clematis would do well in the conditions she's got in her yard.

ferns do well in shade. hosta's. there's a viney/ground cover that is has yellow leaves - can't think of the name of it right now tho...

there are a large variety of geranium - some do well in shade, all of them flower (come in reds, whites, pink, purples) and some have variegated leaves - i've got one with yellow/green/white leaves that has a pink flower. i'll get the name of it for you when i go home tonight.

some peony's do okay in shade - they come in bushes as well as trees. colors are pinks, reds purples, whites. i think there might even be yellows too.

Link Copied to Clipboard