This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46092 August 30th, 2006 at 10:44 AM
OP Offline
I was thinking of planting a few new trees this fall. Does anyone have a magnolia tree and do you like them? I have found a couple that are hardy for zone 4 where I am. Sunsation and YellowBird.

#46093 August 30th, 2006 at 11:01 AM
OP Offline
Hmmm - on second thought, maybe magnolias aren't hardy enough for zone 4. I have been looking and most of them say zone 5. Wayside Gardens has them for sale and say zone 3. I don't know. I'm looking to plant 2 new trees in the front yard...I have mostly evergreens around the farm, have to remove 2 from the front yard because they are dying, and 2 years ago lost a weeping willow due to a new well that was dug. I have never planted a tree and just don't know what to plant.

Hard to see the front yard - but kinda gives you an idea of what I have. I want something that will blend, but different, and have some color in the fall. ??

[Linked Image]

#46094 August 30th, 2006 at 10:21 PM
Patty, have you thought about some type of understory tree like a Dogwood or Redbud? They are nice small trees that bloom in the spring.

#46095 September 4th, 2006 at 02:10 AM
Magnolia

Is a tree suited for florida ...

Not cold ..
dodge

#46096 September 4th, 2006 at 04:36 AM
R
R
magnolias are tolerant of heat, especially southern magnolia & leonard messel. but they are cold hardy also. we have tons of magnolia all over WV & PA.

for flowers and fall color check into cotinus 'smoke tree', brilliant orange in fall.

also, bradford pears, cherry, flowering crabapple,

maples are great for fall color.

#46097 September 4th, 2006 at 05:38 AM
ND Farmgirl
Is that pic of your farm? That is great how did you get that pic? If that IS your farm you have a beautiful place.

#46098 September 5th, 2006 at 12:44 AM
OP Offline
Buz - yep, that's my home sweet home. Been here for about 10 years, just now starting to DIG IN the yard!

My husband has a plane - owns it with a few other guys. We had pictures taken of all the farms around Page for a book for the 125th anniversary next summer.

#46099 September 12th, 2006 at 04:38 AM
ND farm girl - there is a Magnolia where I work that is gorgeous in the spring. (zone 5) I have seen a few that were hardy to zone 4 but can't remember the names. I think that a garden center in your area selling Magnolia's would only sell ones hardy enough. I'd check it out!

#46100 September 12th, 2006 at 09:00 PM
S
S
Wow - absolutely gorgeous setting. What a beautiful wooded area surrounding the home and barns.

You should be able to find one hardy in your zone. We have a big old magnolia here in our zone 5. Not sure it's species but it's a old-timer.
Magnolia

Here's a closeup of the blooms.
Magnolia Bloom

Another family in town has one they call "Cucumber Magnolia" but it may not be the style you're looking for.
Cucumber Magnolia

#46101 September 12th, 2006 at 09:27 PM
Holy toledo,

gorgous setting an colors.

thanks for sharing.

dodge

#46102 October 5th, 2006 at 10:42 PM
C
C
hello from madill, ok. i have a southern magnolia, i live in zone 7 in the middle of a pasture. so i am trying to plant a variety of trees. i have a flowering bradford pear (doing quite nicely), a crabapple, a redbud (spider mites got the leaves, but is healthy now) and did have a sycamore (it croaked). my suggestion is try what you like and then try again. caryn

#46103 October 6th, 2006 at 12:10 AM
cary

What zone are you ?

I am 5.....

I try many things just for kicks.. SOme grow some dont.
We may get our first frost tonite......
You must be on a farm too.....
The west is so wide open.......And nice.

Take some photos for us to view.

Thanks,

dodge

#46104 October 8th, 2006 at 12:17 AM
L
L
We've planted several sweetbay magnolias that are doing well so far . . . we're in zone 4. They have beautiful lemon scented blossoms most of the summer and red fruit that comes out in the fall. Definitely a good tree to plant!

#46105 October 8th, 2006 at 12:29 AM
LandArt

Any photos for us to see.

I heard they were gorgous.

dodge smile

#46106 October 21st, 2006 at 07:13 AM
L
L
I have photos, I'll post them as soon as I can figure out how . . . sorry, not the most savvy when it comes to the computer!

#46107 October 21st, 2006 at 08:47 AM
Landart

Maybe I can help ......

You have to upload the photos to a place like

www.photobucket.com
did you ever do that?

Then i can tell you how to put it on here.
Most use that place here.

barb

#46108 November 4th, 2006 at 10:18 AM
L
L
ok, I've registered on photobucket, will experiment from here and see if I'm successful in getting pictures uploaded. I may need your help yet!

#46109 November 4th, 2006 at 11:28 AM
L
L
ok, I've got the pictures uploaded to photobucket - now how do I get the pictures from there to here?

#46110 November 4th, 2006 at 09:04 PM
Landart,

Good job,

Now what you do is ........got to photobucket,
Go to the photo you wish to show.
you will see under it, 3 lines of words.
the one at the bottom ..Number 3
You left click your mouse on it,
That highlights the box and it turns blue
Now right click your mouse
and the box that drops , select COPY

go to Whereever you wish to place this photo
right click your mouse
select paste,
and that should be it.........

When you preview the post, it will show you the photo.
click add the reply.
always check it with Preview first.

LET ME KNOW if it works..
dodge

#46111 November 6th, 2006 at 06:01 AM
L
L
[Linked Image]

Let's see if this works . . .

#46112 November 6th, 2006 at 06:04 AM
L
L
Hey, good deal! Thanks, dodge! Now I just need to figure out how to post a link so people could click it and view an album of photos . . . can that even be done in a forum environment like this?

#46113 November 6th, 2006 at 08:37 AM
L
L
[Linked Image]

Here is a close-up of the flowers.

#46114 November 6th, 2006 at 09:00 AM
Land of Art .

Wonderful.......You did it well.

Not sure on that one...
But try this ......When your on pocket bucket,
click on the address box the Http.
Copy that and put it in your message.....Put that in preview, and click it yourself and see if it goes to the site......

Not sure I did that...

Try.
You good at photos too.. Love the magnolia.. Some told me they werent for our area.. But looks like they are.

Glad to help ..

dodge clp

#46115 November 12th, 2006 at 01:30 AM
ok photobucket.

to share address.up at the top you will see invite to albulm you can click it.i think I had to enter some addresses,but when showed the finished thing I then clicked the adress it had copyed& pasted.

you can do multiple photos too ones that are uploaded on one page at a time.them lil boes?put clickes in photos you want to see and then click generate codes at bottom& will list them its easier to use clickable thumbnails for forums or E bay.you copy and paste whats in the box& post to your post.
I'd proably learn more if I sat down and played with it more,but I've learned some good things.

Like your farm.How cool to have a co-op airplane.I don't like to fly,but like the veiws.You'll have to carry your camera more often when you go up.

I like oakleaf hygrandeas for fall color.I'd like maples too,but not many of the maples turn in my mild weather,they don't even lose all their leaves.I got a sugar maple I like well enough.its gets dark red burgandy leaves.it seems to grow pretty fast also Its 4 years old and about 17-20 ft tall.I like my oakleaf hygrandea also.I don't think you'll get as much color as mine get cause the intense heat is what sets its color I think,but they have intresting flowers& bark too boot& even the green leaves when new are pretty.here's a site for them
http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/what_grows_where.html

Thats just the page I was on when searching the coldness part out,but this site will tell all you need to know.I root cuttings of them in winter,they useually take off growing well at 3 years.I have a magnolia tree.I'm letting wisteria take it over to hubbys dismay.they are pretty trees.you can dry the flowers and write on them as paper.my mom loves magnolias is her favorite tree.I did see a sweetbay type one mentioned.hubby was short a helper one day& I did roofing cleanup.I smelled it all day.I was going to grab up some seedlings& was so beat by end of work didn't even grab them up.theirs was an old one next to house,but they had other smaller ones about as well.

When I moved TX from Indpls.I had to ride about in the fall to find stuff that did fall coloring here,then when moved further south had same problem.there are also grasses in colors their is a purple fountain grass,some pompass grass that is pink plumed.I grew the pink in Indpls& surrounded it by mums.
When I work on my pics in photobucket....I'll load the oakleafs up.If you search forum you may find old post with my oakleaf least year& may have a shot in my yahoo album in fall photos.

Link Copied to Clipboard