This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45927 March 28th, 2006 at 11:56 AM
OP Offline
these are the herbs i'm going to be growing this year. i have two LONG windowbox-type pots, like 3 feet long, 6" wide or something like that. i'm going to plant them both with herbs, plus a few other sepperate pots with some others.

kitchen herbs (these are the only ones i actually use enough of to warrant growing them):

basil
rosemary
thyme
sage
oregano

medicinal herbs:

German Chamomile
echinacea
lavender
yarrow
garlic
aloe vera

i'm wondering A: what kind of garlic would be the best to grow for both cooking, and medicinal purposes

and B: what are some other handy, all-purpouse medicinal herbs that are good to have around and easy to grow? i live in eastern washington and we have a good hot bright summer. its dry, but i water regularly. the plants would be harvested at the best time of the growing season for that plant, and dried for use over the winter. i can always replant next year if something doesn't survive the winter.

#45928 March 30th, 2006 at 02:58 AM
what are some other handy, all-purpouse medicinal herbs that are good to have around and easy to grow?
Calendula (pot marigold)is easy to grow, has nice flowers, and the flower petals are very healing to use in salve making and washes. Pennyroyal is of the mint family and easy to grow and is a perennial that comes back each year, it is good for making insect repellant with, among other things. Lemon Balm is very easy to grow and will self seed It is used for flavoring and makes a nice tea, is wonderful in the bath water and has many good uses. There are alot of others, But I suggest all of the above as far as easy to grow and useful.

Link Copied to Clipboard