This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45774 June 20th, 2006 at 02:01 PM
OP Offline
What can I do about those mushroom rings in my lawn? eek eek

We've had a lot of rain here lately, but I'm not sure where they come from. Duh Duh

#45775 June 21st, 2006 at 12:04 AM
What can I do about those mushroom rings in my lawn?
+++++++++++
Enjoy the look of them?

#45776 June 21st, 2006 at 02:27 AM
OP Offline
Awwwwwwwww....come on, are you serious sca sca

But me thinks you may be right. We've had these for years, but only off and on. eek eek

I was honestly hoping someone has come up with a better deal already. idea

#45777 June 21st, 2006 at 11:36 AM
If you don't have to do anything, but enjoy them. Isn't that a pretty good deal? I don't reckon it gets much better than that:-)
You could spend a bunch of money on fungicides or you could remove your topsoil and replace it i guess. But neither would necessarily be gauranteed to work. There are a few differing opinions on reasons for them to be , but i don't care why, just that they are. They don't cause any problems.
I really like those rings.

#45778 June 21st, 2006 at 03:26 PM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
There is nothing that you can do to get rid of mushrooms. Although they are a fungi fungicides do nothing to mushrooms. This would be about the same thing as trying to kill a giant oak tree with a shot of dandelion killer.
They come from spores which are trapped usually in pieces of buried wood. as the wood decays the spores are released and then work their way to the surface. Actually the mushroom itself is just the flower of the fungi, the actual infected area came be much larger. The rings are known as Fairy Rings. Most of the time, they are harmless to the lawn, however if the mycelium growth, (the actual fungal body which appears as very fine strands which resemble spider webs)gets to thick, it can choke out the lawn. The best thing to do if that is the case is core aerate the lawn DO NOT USE A SPIKER! as this will compact the area and make the problem worse.
Fairy rings have a lot of really cool lore behind them, and are pretty interesting to read up on. They can be anywhere from a few feet to over a mile across. They have been observed in the rain forests by the astronauts circling the earth in outer space!

Here are some interesting links:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/02908.html

http://www.unce.unr.edu/publications/FS03/FS0320.pdf#search=\'fairy%20ring%20fact%20sheet%200320\'

#45779 June 23rd, 2006 at 02:57 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Mike,

I remember doing this to my mother's fairy rings when I was still at home. We had lots of them then. Thanks for reminding me of this.

Link Copied to Clipboard