This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45622 August 12th, 2006 at 03:11 AM
M
Marina Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi all smile

I wanted to thank for your foks for your input into my pepper question (though they remain unidentified, anyone what type they are?)

I really want to make pepper powder (like you purchase from the store) with my peppers. Can anyone quide me to a resource for doing this, I have no idea!

#45623 August 12th, 2006 at 04:54 AM
Here is what I do (I really like it with dried ancho chilies). Dry your chili by hanging it or making a hanging onion-pepper wreath. Someone here was making these gorgeous ones, but I can't find the topic anymore. I'll keep looking and post it if I can find it. Once the chilies are dry, I slice them into smaller chunks and let my food processor make them into a powder. I use this as a sub for store-bought chili powder.

#45624 August 12th, 2006 at 04:57 AM
Why is it I always find what I'm looking for 2 seconds after I've quit looking? laugh :p Here is a very useful thread that I found. The ristras are so pretty, I'd hate to use the veggies!!

#45625 August 12th, 2006 at 08:52 AM
M
Marina Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the advice and the link smile

My peppers are sooo tiny I am not sure how I am going to make a wreath or rista out of them. I have never made anything like that, can they lay down to dry or not as much?

#45626 August 12th, 2006 at 11:55 AM
D
D
Put them in a Dehydrator, and let them dry until very hard (they should break if you bend them!). If they are a larger thicker walled pepper cut them open to dry them in the dehydrator, or even cut them into rings . Buy yourself a coffee grinder/mill. You can buy one at Wally World (Walmart) for about 11 to 12 bucks.Its a good idea to use a differnt one from one you use to grind your coffee beans unless you like an extra kick in your coffee! Put your dry peppers in the mill- Pulse it for a short bit if you want pepper flakes. Hold it down longer if you want powder, for use such as chili powders. It works great!

Link Copied to Clipboard