This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45406 April 26th, 2006 at 10:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
for my neighbor.

he wants to cover up the other neighbors fence - it's one of those tall (eight feet) wooden things that completely blocks the view.

the problem is, the area that is plantable is narrow - only a couple of feet wide due to the driveway AND it's mostly shade - only gets a few hours of sunlight in mid-late afternoon.

he wants tall things (the fence is pretty ugly!) and has tried a few different things - some haven't worked at all and others are slow growing. he's got a dog too and i think she's aggravating the situation by using part of the area as her toilet.

okay. he's got a holly bush and a burning bush...they've been in for 2 years and are finally starting to take off. he's also got a couple of nice rosebushes...they don't really cover the fence too well tho.

last year he put in some type of bamboo. i forget the name of that particular one - it's not really hardy to this area and he didn't know that - it only survived the winter because it was really mild this year. he'll have to cover it next fall. that seems to be doing okay.

anyone have any ideas? he doesn't want all the same thing - or he'd just have gone with the burning bush...plain shrubs or something flowering - he doesn't care! the shade is the problem...i can only come up with hydrangea - and i don't think that will get tall enough!

thanks!!

#45407 April 26th, 2006 at 01:48 PM
Tryin to think this is a tough one a shade vine hmmm flowering shade vines Just looked it up I hope it helps!?

#45408 April 26th, 2006 at 11:35 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Here are some possibilities for your neighbor. I didn't check the growing zone but they will take the shade and do have good height.

Acanthopanax sieboldiana 'Variegatus'-Acanthopanax
Acer circinatum-Maple, Vine
Actaea racemosa-Black Cohosh
Actaea simplex-Bugbane
Astilbe c. 'Superba'-False Spirea
Astilboides tabularis-Astilboides
Athyrium filix-femina-Lady Fern, Uncrested
Chasmanthium latifolium-Northern Sea Oats
Corylopsis sinensis-Chinese Winter Hazel
Fuchsia magellanica-Fuchsia, Hardy
Mahonia aquifolium-Oregon Grape
Matteuccia struthiopteris 'The King'-Jumbo Ostrich Fern
Polygonatum commutatum-Solomon's Seal, Great

#45409 April 27th, 2006 at 04:05 AM
K
K
Aboritae.

#45410 April 27th, 2006 at 02:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thanks!! i'll give him the list - i'm sure he'll find something that he'll like!

#45411 June 5th, 2006 at 09:56 PM
Passion flower vines, passiflori. Quite beautiful and hearty.

Link Copied to Clipboard