This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44061 August 26th, 2006 at 04:49 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I currently grow an evergreen plant commonly known as the money plant. Its a nonflowering plant that grows like a vine and have oval shaped leaves. It can be grown either in soil or submerged in water. Mine is grown in a glass container of water.

recently, i realised that the leaves are starting to brown at the edges and occasionally there are holes on the leaves where the edges of the holes are browning too. I thought it was bugs at first but could not find any traces or tell tale signs of pest problems. the container is placed near the window with ample but not direct sunlight. the climate here is summer and high humidity throughout the year. Could anyone please kindly enlighten me on the possible causes of this?

#44062 August 29th, 2006 at 07:56 PM
J
OP Offline
J
these are the pics of my plant. I just found out that it's known as the Devil's ivy.
holes2
whole plant
holes1
browning edges

#44063 September 6th, 2006 at 11:42 AM
S
S
could be over fertilised...and over watering.

#44064 September 7th, 2006 at 06:32 PM
T
T
Apa kabar smile

julietan, be careful not to get water on the leaves, this can cause brown spots. If you ever decide to plant your Devil's Ivy (Pothos) in soil, let it dry out between waterings. Otherwise, this is a beautiful plant smile

Stupe -- PJ. Petaling Jaya? Spent four years in PG (home of the permanent jam) and often traveled to KL (long drive...) Early congratualtions on your upcoming new arrival smile

Jumpa lagi smile

#44065 September 8th, 2006 at 11:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
holes2 pic looks like the leaf was crushed and broken. the other hole pic looks like a burn and so does the browning at the tips.

allowing water droplets to stay on the leaves when it's in a window where it gets direct sunlight will cause burns.

pothos doesn't need direct sun...might want to move it away from the window so that it is not sitting directly in the sunlight.

#44066 September 17th, 2006 at 08:40 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi
thanks for all the advice. I have replanted my plant in soil instead of water and the browning thing stopped appearing. I guess its because of this water logging thing that i happened to come across online. read that sometimes the plant will start to turn brown if allowed to submerge in water for too long.

Link Copied to Clipboard