This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#43963 April 24th, 2006 at 01:16 AM
It is early but it is so on the harry edge..
I have had all my annuals out for the last week.
If we get a threat of frost I bring them to the back porch.. Duh

#43964 April 24th, 2006 at 01:20 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline

i PLANTED MOONIES AWHILE AGO....iNSIDE..iSNT IT TOO EARLY FOR ANNUALS IN oHIO? We still get frost in zone 5 ......May 31 is safe to come up.

Just wondering?/ Ohio maybe warmer if they are closer to the lake.....What part of Ohio is he in? My sis lived in Cleveland.....neice in Mentor.

dodge

#43965 April 24th, 2006 at 03:08 AM
N
N
Hey Dodge, my husband is in Dublin. Which is about 120 miles south of Cleveland. If I am correct I believe it borders zone 5/6. I think it is alittle warmer down thier.

I did not realize Moonflowers are annuals...oh well they will look nice if they do come up.

I think I will make a habit of niking and soaking my seeds from now on and see what happens.

#43966 April 24th, 2006 at 03:39 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline

Some reason I have received lots of hard shelled seeds????? I am trying that hard.. Took some and put them in a baggie with a little water and tape it to the sunny window....
Try that one too.

RIGht now I have Ginko Bilobo seeds to do.. DOnt know if I should they say the female is a stinker.. SHe smells terrible? DO you know anything on that one?

sca sca sca THANKS ..DODGE..

#43967 April 24th, 2006 at 08:50 AM
laugh laugh Duh Now that I have never heard!!
I have heard the window trick though..
the seed itself smells or when you put it in the water??

#43968 April 24th, 2006 at 09:00 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
No
when it grows into a tree.....It is smelly?/

Ha ha mad mad mad
Maybe I can then say, OH YOU LITTLE STINKER..

HA HA;O)

DODGE

#43969 April 25th, 2006 at 04:11 AM
Canna's are great.Easy to grow and they multiple like bunnies.My first year gardening a friend gave me 3 bulbs..When I dug them up..I had 3 milk crates full.I live in zone 6(or 7 depending on who you ask) laugh I put mine in right after Mother's Day. Never lost one yet...Matter of fact I gave quite a few away last spring.I may have spoken too soon though, I had surgery in November and was injured and out of my garden by mid Sep.I didn't get the chance to get mine out last fall frown ...I crossing my fingers..Praying..Wishing that we had a Mild enough winter for them to survive..I have talked to friends who grow them and they say I might have a fighting chance...So take comfort..They are a cake walk..Good Luck!!
thumbup

#43970 April 25th, 2006 at 10:55 AM
Really Dodge?? Never had one .. Duh Never knew they smelt bad.. Do you plan on using it as a whatever they do..vitanin, herb ,natural healer??

#43971 April 25th, 2006 at 11:09 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
spring feavar,

All I was going to do is see if it would grow, and pawn it off on someone else.

ha hah

Littler stinker.

dodge p p p

#43972 April 25th, 2006 at 02:05 PM
P
P
shazzie,they say they will die off but you know what?
one heck of a lot of folks leave em in the ground up here in zone 5 and dont have a problem.
its a gamble ,but from what im seeing,not a big one.
guess its got something to do with global warming. ive left em in myself along with cannas , callas , and even glads.
dont take my word for it though.
maybe try a little experiment with a little of your stock and see what kind of results you get!

#43973 April 25th, 2006 at 02:29 PM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
porter

Maybe my zone is FREEZONE..;O)

DODGE

#43974 April 25th, 2006 at 02:48 PM
P
P
i tell ya what, im not gonna dig em up this year(last year was the first time i dug the cannas and callas out,just started out with glads and dahlias,the one dahlia i dug out doesnt appear to be coming back but its still early yet. the new dahlias i planted are growing well and the old one hasnt shown yet, (dang it i like that one)
well see what transpires and compare notes.
i think the old one was of the halskrag variety
at least thats what ive seen on the web.
i bought it from a old time supermarket(a vanishing breed here in st louis and probably every where) spring sale just cause i thought it looked neat. didnt know what it was , just took a chance. was a very nice plant that produced lovely blooms all summer and fall long.didnt know a thing about dahlias before then.
did some research on the web and figured out what it was. i keep looking at where i planted it and hoping but nothing is showing yet.
kinda looks like i may have lost it. unless its one of those that comes up later. yea thats the spirit, itll come up later!

#43975 April 25th, 2006 at 02:56 PM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
pORTER ,
HOW ABOUT TULIPS? DO YOU DIG THOSE UP? PUT SOME NICE ONES IN 2 YEARS AGO , NOW THEY ARE SLOWER THAN THE NEW ONES I PUT IN LAST FALL?? BEATS ME?
THE NEW BUNCH IS ABSOLUTELY GORGOUS......
NOW I PLANTED DALHIA seed LAST spring.. GREW GORGOUS.......WERE TO BE HARDY, LIKE YOU SAY, NO SHOW YET.........I KEEP HOPING AND WAITING.. TOO.
GUESS WERE HOOKED ON flowers....;O)

DODGE clp clp clp

#43976 April 25th, 2006 at 03:20 PM
Love flowers .. Don't really grow early spring ones though.. just too cold to go out.. Hate being cold.. dalhia i did grow last year loved it and don't think I used proper storage for it...I put it in a box down in my cellar I am not sure it will grow this year but it was Pretty!!

#43977 April 25th, 2006 at 11:29 PM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
S f

No one likes cold.......But I learned to love snow and ride my 4 wheeler in it.. It is a popular sport up here.. Snowmobiles... i prefer 4 wheels.

dodge

#43978 April 26th, 2006 at 02:14 AM
Dodge you get a little snow.. we usually get crazy snow shk last year we got the blizzard the snow was almost over my sons head!! nutz
between the shoveling and trying to get around it gets old fast!

#43979 April 26th, 2006 at 05:59 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
SpringF.

No we didnt get snow .....Rain for 4 days now.. It is 60 degrees here .....40 at nite, and we may go down to 30 on thursday.. ALl plants in the basement that nite.....I have tomatoes , peppers, lots of flowers out on the east side of the porch .. Inside this week.
No we dont usually get snow this late.. May is out garden starting here.
Feel bad for you who do.

dodge

#43980 April 26th, 2006 at 06:26 AM
Thanks for the comfort Porter..I think they'll be ok.So you leave calla's in too? They are my absolute favorite flower,and i have'nt yet tried to grow them...Maybe this year.
About Dahalia's aren't some Perenials? Some Annuals? My kids gave my some for Mother's
Day 2 years ago and they never came back..Then a friend gave me some and they came back last year..
I'd like to get the ones that come back shocked (things that come back are great,cause I'm lazy sometimes.)

#43981 April 26th, 2006 at 06:43 AM
We got some a few years ago on may 10 or something crazy.. Freak storm.. ?? usually Jan and feb are the worst months for snow though..
your lucky you don't get so much down there!
Really puts a wrench in the garden!!

#43982 April 26th, 2006 at 12:59 PM
P
P
trouble with dahlias is that while they are perinials,they arent winter hardy whatsoever.
and so far ,my attempts to dig them up and save them havent been successful(first time tring though,you never know)
as for the tulips,digging em up wont help em.
typically the first year is great,followed by a major decline the second year and it gets much worse after that. maybe clip the bloom before the flower goes to seed.perhaps that will get ya a little more time with them. but most folks replant them with new bulbs yearly for the showiest flowers.kinda wonder what the dutch know that we dont. someone has to grow em to supply us with bulbs.

#43983 April 26th, 2006 at 01:03 PM
No dahlias they ar not you have to pull them for winter porter.. my first time as well I think I did something wrong.. tulips just leave them cut the spent flowers and let the folige live till it dies off... after years you will have to remove some of the bulbs from being over crowded..

#43984 April 26th, 2006 at 01:19 PM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
porter,

wavey
You must of read my mind........That is the story I was telling my husband at supper tonite..the new ones look the greatest.. i have to read up on them......Like you said , they do decline yearly.......
Ha ha
You have smarts.....Got me thinking now.

thumbup
dodge

#43985 April 26th, 2006 at 01:25 PM
Usually when they get over crowded they die out no room to sprout try to dig some after they die off and see if they are choking out.. that is the problem with my neighbors I will send a pic tomarrow ..

#43986 April 26th, 2006 at 01:50 PM
P
P
my tulips were absolutely glorious this year,their first in the garden. i actually had nieghbors coming by tio take pictures of em.
i hope they dont expect the same thing next year.
they are just about done for the year and ive got a bit of a loll going on right now as the summer plants grow. but once june and july gets here,there will be so much in bloom it will make tour head spin.ive kind of gotten carried away with it, i probably should have just put a few yews in,but id rather have flowers then weeds and if i can crowd the weeds out,so much the better!

#43987 April 26th, 2006 at 02:16 PM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
porter,
springfeaver,

I was thinking of lifting mine when they are done..Mainly because the weeds have time to attack me.........If I replant this fall I will have fewer weeds....I hope.

dodge

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard