This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#43125 June 4th, 2006 at 04:10 PM
I know there are plants that act as air filters (ferns for one) but I don't know about spider plants...

#43126 June 5th, 2006 at 01:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
spiders, peace lilies, ferns and lots of others. there is actually a list of about 10-12 plants with known filtering capabilities.

they also help keep the humidity in a home at a healthy level.

#43127 June 9th, 2006 at 02:57 AM
I need advice.. I had a spider plant for the last 15 or so years. Many people have wonderful spiders from my plant. I've never had a problem. I'd repot every couple of years, and was rewarded by a most beautiful plant.
I moved into a apartment style condo 2 years ago, and my beautiful spider plant up and died. I have good sunlight, it was never dried out etc.I bought a new one and IT promptly died as well as a couple of ivy's I purchased.I do have other plants that are still "up and about" and am really concerned about the air quality in the condo.Does anyone have any ideas what my problem COULD be??

#43128 June 9th, 2006 at 03:21 AM
I have a spider plant I started then it ided an d I recieved some new ones and put them in this big pot, is that maybe my problem, IT looked like it was doing alright untill we put outside and now it is sunburnt...how can I keep it alive, because it looks really rough...april

#43129 June 9th, 2006 at 03:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, if the condo is newly constructed, the building will be more airtight than something 10 or 15 years old and, of course, buildings built before that will not be too airtight at all.

there's also the issue of the materials used - most new construction has tyvek sheets added before siding is put on - keeps the building energy efficient also blocks most air circulation too.

your concerns are real. when a building doesn't breath, toxins (like those that plastics give off) stay inside and newer construction has more man-made components than older buildings (which are basically wood and brick/morter with no moisture barriers like the tyvek) so the air quality might not be so good.

spider plants are one of those known to be a filter tho, so i'd say there is some other issue on top of the air quality.

do the plants you are choosing have enough light for their requirements? what about water? do you use your tap water? if so, do you let it sit overnight so that the chlorine in it can dissapate?

there are also other things in the water that might cause a problem. for example, i've always had a fish tank. never had a problem with the water in nj; when i moved back to pa, something made me test the water. high levels of ammonia in it! good thing i tested before setting up the tank as i would have killed all the fish immediately! (there's a treatment that can be applied to remove the excess ammonia)

the spider plant may have just reached the end of it's lifecycle. i'm not sure how long they usually live - 15 years sounds like a long time tho!

you can do tests for the air quality as well as what, exactly, is in your water. if you aren't getting sick, i wouldn't worry about it too much, tho. try choosing different plants...things that are a better match to the conditions in your new home (sunlight levels as well as what direction your windows face).

#43130 June 9th, 2006 at 08:28 AM
M
M
How did you keep that spider plant from getting gigantic? Mine always get so big you can't see the pot it is in anymore.
~Amie

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard