This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#43056 July 4th, 2006 at 06:33 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I am having issues in my courtyard. I have these weeds poping up everywhere, and I can't figure out what they are, and most importantly, how to CONTROL them!! mad

This first one: I have a blue bell in front of the rock, and some other bushes in the back. The front dried up plant is a columbine. Everything else that looks like clover is a weed. It is popping up everywhere! (also- should I cut back the first bush and the columbine... is it dead, or just done for the season??)

PhotoBucket

And secondly: These little guys are more prevelant than the first. They even grow arms everywhich way!! I can't seem to contol these at all! :p
Photobucket

I am posting here because it is my shade garden, and there isn't a 'weed control' section HA! Thanks so much for ANY suggestion.

Joining the quest for a weed free world!!
Mandy

#43057 July 4th, 2006 at 06:35 PM
M
OP Offline
M
(just thought I would turn on the email notification... forgot to do that)

#43058 July 4th, 2006 at 08:05 PM
Mandy, there isn't a special "weed control section" because weeds are something we all fight in EVERY section here! (Well, maybe not in the hobbies or recipies or critter corner forums!) laugh

It looks like your weeds are small enough to just scrape out with your hoe. (That's what I do when they're little, & after a while they get tired of being disturbed & don't have the energy left to come back again.)

Your Columbine is done for the year. If you want to save the seeds to plant next year, you'll want to check the pods to see if there are any seeds left in them. (They might have already spilled out onto the ground... & they'll be back next year with no effort on your part!)

In case you don't know, the seed pods look like this, & the seeds are tiny black specks, inside the chambers of the pod. (They almost look like Poppy seeds.)
[Linked Image]
If you are able to harvest some seeds before throwing away the dried plant, remember that Columbine seeds need to be stratified before they'll germinate. After they are thoroughly dried, just put them in an envelope & stick them in your refrigerator until you're ready to plant next year. (They don't have to be cold treated for that long, but I leave them there all winter, so I know where to find them!) nutz

[Linked Image] By the way, next time you forget to check the e-mail notification box, you can always click on the "edit/delete post" icon in the row across the top of your post, & find the e-mail notification box in the "options" field. Be sure to click on the "edit post" button after you've checked it.

#43059 July 5th, 2006 at 06:49 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you so much for the info! (especially the edit button!) I guess these weeds don't mind the raking and plucking, because they keep coming back bigger and stronger!! I'll just keep buggin them. Thanks again!

#43060 July 9th, 2006 at 11:35 AM
P
P
first one kinda looks like plaintain
bad news is you got to pluck em out before they seed to get rid of em

#43061 July 14th, 2006 at 02:14 AM
The second one looks like my portulaca that I found in my back yard...

plants/130_3054.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>
plants/131_3189.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Does it bloom at all?

#43062 July 14th, 2006 at 03:20 AM
M
OP Offline
M
no, no blooms, just the greens. If they bloomed I wouldn't mind as much. Those pics do look very similar. Thanks!

Link Copied to Clipboard