This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KKMedic Offline OP
OP Offline
My mother just bought a house that has a big yard overflowing with plants that haven't been cared for in a few years. In the process of cleaning up, I got a few small crepe myrtles from runners/suckers that popped up. The roots are minimal and small on them so I am trying to find out exactly what I need to do to help them survive since there isn't much root to feed it. Should I go ahead and put it in the ground (temps are in the upper 90s here and very dry this summer), or pot it and keep it moist then transplant in the fall, or put it in water to help it root better. What can I put on it to help more roots grow?
I also have a clipping from her rose of Sharon... what do I need to do to root it?
Thanks a million

The few things that I'm propagating during this hot weather are potted up and kept in a shady area on the patio. They get lots of bright light but don't get overpowered by too much sun and it's easier to remember to water them almost daily. By cool weather, they should be ready to go in the ground. I've had really good luck with rose of Sharon cuttings.

KKMedic Offline OP
OP Offline
Do you use anything other than potting soil to help?

Nope, just plain ol' potting soil. Lots of gardeners use rooting hormone but I ran out several years ago and never bothered to buy more. lol! I think the key to successful cuttings is shade and water.

Rosie

L
L
Rooting hormone is usually not needed as they root in 3-4 weeks. You can replace by Liquid Seaweed (1/2 capful of water per gallon of water) if you wish. Either spray it on the leaves or water around the roots. They are very tough trees and require little maintenance. The start of the summer season is a good time to root cuttings. You can transplant to their final location in the Fall or Winter. They are almost like weeds this time of the year in this part of Texas.

I like your doggie picture, Rosie! That seems to be the I-can-do-no-harm look. Ha!

Luis

Thank, Luis...she is the Queen. laugh

hi can u actually root crepe myrtle in water?

how long will it totake rose of sharon to sprout.?im just full of questions.huh

can anyone tell me if i can keep a washington palm tree contained in a pot?

Link Copied to Clipboard