This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
I live in the Pacific Northwest and my lawn is being taken over by moss. It is a fairly large piece of my property, in the front of my house. I don't have kids or pets, so it is rarely walked on. I was dreading thinking of going through all the work to get grass back. Then I was reading a book by Ann Lovejoy who is a well known gardener out here. She talks about how grass is not natural out here. Moss is. She suggests ways to promote a lush mossy lawn - which include spraying it with a mixture of diluted buttermilk and a woodland compost tea. The mixture sounds easy enough. Has anyone does this - not necessarily the tea, but left moss to take over a lawn? The rest of my property lawncare and landscaping will keep me busier than I have time for. So I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to keep grass growing. I'm very new to this. I want to keep my property looking good. And I like the moss. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

O
O
I've never tried to encourage moss, but I have a link to a site that actually sells it. It sounds like you probably don't need to buy any, but you may find some useful information here:

Moss Acres

I looove moss! I can't answer any of your questions but just thought I'd put my two cents in! we've had brick patios that get a lot of moss on them and we love it. It usually dies out in the summer and then comes back in the winter.

Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
maitreya... wavey

I'm sure you will be very interested in this topic about moss...
Wall To Wall Carpeting
Notice the 2 links right before the pictures..
"The Mosses and Lichens of Hummingbird House"
and "Growing Decorative Mosses In Your Garden".

Welcome to the forum!

Cindy

Link Copied to Clipboard