This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41543 June 29th, 2006 at 03:33 AM
OP Offline
My tomato plants were doing GREAT, but within the past few days the leaves have begun to curl inward - what is this? They are a beautiful healthy green, no signs of insects, plants are still growing

#41544 June 29th, 2006 at 03:38 AM
J
J
Welcome Julie!

Quoted from Carolyn Male:
Basically Leaf Roll is a physiological problem while most causes of leaf curl are environmental.

I think I went over the leaf curl stuff in that same post but here it is again.

Leaves curl when it's too hot, too cool, too dry, too wet, too windy, or when the plant has a heavy fruit burden and most hybrids have leaves that curl normally.

If leaves curl over into a tube like structure, check for aphids.

So as I said above, I ignore leaf curl unless there are other symtoms.

Leaf curl can occur at any time while physiological Leaf Roll usually occurs early in the season when the plants are still immature, as I said previously.

#41545 June 29th, 2006 at 03:52 AM
OP Offline
Thanks, I'll relax a bit. We have had an extremly wet two weeks here on the Peninsula and I fear Blight. I'm growing plants in very large pots as I have done for the past four years - new soil each year. Good drainage. To prevent any possibility of Blight in advance, what can I do?

#41546 June 29th, 2006 at 04:26 AM
J
J
Julie, blight is mostly an airborne disease so fresh potting mix, clean containers and mulch will only go so far to help. The other thing you could do is start a preventative spraying regimen with a daconil based spray like Ortho's Garden disease control every 7-10 days. This will go a long way in preventing the most common fungal diseases.

#41547 July 1st, 2006 at 08:40 PM
Thanks John! Duh

#41548 July 1st, 2006 at 10:57 PM
J
J
Originally posted by patches1414:

Should I cut off those lower branches? Duh
Patti, I'm not sure I follow. The lower branches' leaves are curling? Curled leaves should just be a temporary problem if there are no other symptoms, but lower branches can always be pruned off if you prefer.

#41549 July 2nd, 2006 at 10:12 AM
Thanks Julie for starting this post.

I'm going to assume that the same is true for curled pepper leaves. plants are healthy and buds are forming, just the leaves curling under.

My greenhouse is 90 degrees most days, I'm trying to cool it a bit by getting everything wet. I have quite a few plants in the greenhouse and they are thriving otherwise.

#41550 July 2nd, 2006 at 12:16 PM
E
E
Do you have any fans or anything for air circulation? That might help. I'v never grown in a greenhouse but know air circulation is important. JD

#41551 July 2nd, 2006 at 12:27 PM
D
D
Originally posted by johnCT:

If leaves curl over into a tube like structure, check for aphids.

So as I said above, I ignore leaf curl unless there are other symtoms.

Leaf curl can occur at any time while physiological Leaf Roll usually occurs early in the season when the plants are still immature, as I said previously.
No aphids that i can see on mine. heres what i did though. . i was having all those sappers as you guys call them . . and i posted a few pics. i GRADUALLY cut them down. . not all at once, but every couple days i'd take 2 bigger ones and kept the small ones gone for good. After doing this though, i have one plant, that i took almost 1/3 of the plant away by just sappers alone. . has leaf curl almost the whole plant frown The leaves arent brown. . nothing looks dead, but it was RIGHT after doing this. Think i may have shocked the plant? No other plant responded like this. . they are all looking fantastic!

#41552 July 3rd, 2006 at 03:20 PM
I have a large fan going in my greenhouse at all times.

My plants are healthy, and I see no signs of little bugs, but I will keep watch.

Link Copied to Clipboard