This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40572 December 8th, 2005 at 08:58 AM
G
guynvb Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi everyone,

I have had an orchid for a couple of years now. Unfortunately, due to overwatering, I have lost a few very large leaves.. however, this plant seems to be thriving very much! I cut back on the water recently and it seems to be doing well. I posted a pic here so you can see it. I guess all these spikes coming out are flower spikes?? And notice the base of the plant and a new node is coming out, not sure what that is. If you guys could advise what I should do next I would most appreciate it. Thanks. plants/DSC02639.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

#40573 December 8th, 2005 at 02:18 PM
those long white spikes are roots. that's an epiphytic orchid, they have roots that are incredibly tough and attach to things like super glue.

the little green bud is a new leaf segment.

#40574 December 9th, 2005 at 11:05 AM
G
guynvb Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Should I actually do anything or what do you suggest at this stage? Are the roots going to keep growing out.. should I trim them, etc.

#40575 December 9th, 2005 at 12:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i was given two orchids that looked like that. i VERY carefully removed it from the pot and VERY, VERY carefully AND gently curled the roots down and then put it in a bigger pot and covered all the roots again. they immediately started to do much better - lots of new growth and one of them sent up a bloom.

i don't know anything about how they reproduce, but it looks like you've got another one growing. i've never had one that had an offshoot like that and i have no idea what to tell you to do with it!

Link Copied to Clipboard