This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40476 September 12th, 2005 at 09:48 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi! Big Jim here:

Many questions. First off, the strawberries. Is it natural for one strawberry plant to create so many runners? I am running out of pots. smile
[Linked Image]

Next, What could it mean if I have a few leaves on my calamandarin that are colored as such:
[Linked Image]

Next, I have this lime tree. Please note the older leaves and their size compared to the new growth leaves. Should the leaves be THAT much larger? It seems weird:
[Linked Image]

Then just for fun, here are my upside down tomatoes (plum). I have gotten lots of flowers, but no fruit as of yet. I am guessing it is too hot here in Tampa:
[Linked Image]

Well, any thoughts on the lime tree and the calamandarin would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Big Jim

#40477 September 12th, 2005 at 10:36 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Jim...
I can answer #1 and #4 maybeeeeee???

#1. Yes, it is possible..but the more you let the plant make runners, it won't make fruit..
Once those babies have planted roots in those
pots...*Great thumbup set up you have there by the way!* Just cut the runner thingie, between the plants.. this will help the babies start doing their own thing and the momma be able to go back makin' strawberries..
Pinch any runners off next...
Remember, the more the runners, the less the fruit.

#4.
A. What did you use for dirt for the pot/container for the tomatoes??
Bagged, if so, whats' the name brand?
B. Did you use any fertilizer on your plants?
If so, what kind and the numbers on it???
C. How much sun did the plant recieve????
D. How much water???

#40478 September 12th, 2005 at 12:55 PM
Hi Jim. I reckon the leaves on your lime are bigger because the light you grow them under is not as strong as direct all day sunlight. Remember they are a full sun plant. I recall you grow it on a balcony. I wouldn't worry too much. The leaves look healthy enough.
The burnt margin on the leaf is a possible potash deficiency but don't freak out. If it's just a small proportion of the leaves just keep an eye on it. When you next fertilise it will probably take care of it. This deficiency tends to be obvious on recently matured leaves, as opposed to older or half formed leaves. Is this the case?

#40479 September 12th, 2005 at 01:34 PM
O
O
Weezie, for once I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. ters That mother plant will have no problem producing fruit come spring. And now Big Jim has 9 plants--9 times the fruit.

Here's an idea Big Jim. I think I posted a link earlier in the year about strawberry plants in a plant hanger. Just leave the runners attached. It will make a nice hanging plant. Especially when the mother plant and the hanging babies flower and set fruit.

#40480 September 12th, 2005 at 01:41 PM
O
O
I found the link I mentioned in my last post. It was in a thread started by Phoenix. Scroll down to my reply to get the link for strawberry hanging plants. https://www.agardenersforum.com/old/ubbthreads.php/ubb/nolongerexists?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000617;p=0

#40481 September 13th, 2005 at 12:18 AM
B
OP Offline
B
obywan:
I never thought the hanging babies would produce fruit. That is really cool, and I will have to try that out next season. If I try to move that heap of plants now, I'll cause all sorts of trouble wink

Longy:
I am very surprised to learn that the leaves grow so much larger just because they don't get full direct sun. They get about 5-6 hours of full to partial sunlight through my porch screen. Like you said, they look healthy, so I guess that is all that counts.

weezie:

A. What did you use for dirt for the pot/container for the tomatoes??
Bagged, if so, whats' the name brand?
--- The soil was miracle grow.

B. Did you use any fertilizer on your plants?
If so, what kind and the numbers on it???
--- No fertilizer, but I have some liquid tomato stuff I can use.

C. How much sun did the plant recieve????
--- 5-6 hours direct/partial screened sun.

D. How much water???
--- I flood this guy at least twice a week. Sometimes they need a 3rd or 4th time to keep them from drooping.

Thanks again for all your help! smile

#40482 September 15th, 2005 at 07:00 AM
I have a cherry tomatoe plant that is two maybe three time as big. but would love a roma tomatoe plant next year!!! I just couldn't believe how big it got!! DEE

Link Copied to Clipboard