This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39463 October 21st, 2005 at 09:57 AM
S
Stupe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
here, as promised, the plants currently i'm babying and trying to make them thrive. Sorry if some of the plants looked miserable as this is my first time at hand gardening.

Wifey made a joke about me and told her friends about me joining a gardening forum laugh

The Calathea (what variant is this?)
[Linked Image]

The rose Picta which i trimmed off all *sunburned* leaves.
[Linked Image]

The Aloe Vera that is given by my Mum In Law, bigger version is at her place, it's huge! Please note the pot in the background, i had placed 2 onions and one ginger(which beginining to leaves)!
[Linked Image]

Pandanus, also commonly known as screw pine to some of you expert.
[Linked Image]

#39464 October 21st, 2005 at 09:59 AM
S
Stupe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This is Part 2 of the posting, i've broken the posting up into 2 parts as the limit is 8 pictures and perhaps it might be kinder to dial up users.

Many thanks!

Part 2:

The Still healthy looking Mini Syngonium, or am i wrong, i mistakenly ID-ed it as Fittonia! Silly me.
[Linked Image]

The Mini Syngonium that had root rot, repotted it after washing off the old soil and trimming off all mushed up stem and leaves, will it Live On?
[Linked Image]

The Money tree or Pachira Aquatica...going strong in my room.
[Linked Image]

And last, but not least, my Corn plant or Dracaena fragrans , sitting pretty in the kitchen
[Linked Image]

#39465 October 21st, 2005 at 10:55 AM
Your plants look great to me...compared to my indoor plants...I can grow stuff outdoors, but house plants do not make it, unless they need no care shocked shocked

#39466 October 21st, 2005 at 07:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thumbup looks like you are doing a great job with your plants! and your arrow head looks like it is already starting to recover, as well as the rose picta! good job, and tell the wife, she should be proud that she has a man who isn't afraid to ask questions!

#39467 October 24th, 2005 at 09:07 AM
S
Stupe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Updates:

1. Mini Arrowhead suffered total lost, savaged what i could, the rot was really bad as some portion of the upper stem was filled with water and burst upon me pressing them.

2. the only leaf left on the rose picta wilted...so, now, it's 100% bald.

sigh...

Jiffy, she is teasing me less now, the other day, mum in law sprinkled too much fertiliser on her lawn and resulted in some patches of yellow dead *ferti-burned* greens...told her what was it, and she's impressed.. ;-) thanks to all of you here!

#39468 October 24th, 2005 at 07:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thumbup that's the ticket! good luck with your plants and keep us posted. i hate it about the arrow head. i don't have a lot of luck with those either...

#39469 October 26th, 2005 at 11:08 AM
S
Stupe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
i think i'll cancel arrowhead out of my must have plants.

proceeding to seek advise on mother in law's tongue and also perhaps a palm tree...

lets hope the rose picta will grow back. Am i cutting away the right way? the cut stems seems to be drying up...

been more careful with watering and only water when the soil is dry when i insert my fingers up to 1 inch into the soil.

#39470 October 26th, 2005 at 11:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they will. that's ok. and mother in law's tongue is easy if you don't over water. it kinda likes to get dry. but loves the humidity. go figure!

#39471 October 28th, 2005 at 09:44 AM
S
Stupe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
LOL...

sounds like Mother Out law already...wants the best for her daughter, but at the same time, forbid the daughter from being overzealous with everything the son in law does...

can't win all the time huh?

My ginger plant is coming up great, after a week in the soil, the plant seems to be budding with new growth spurt.

#39472 October 28th, 2005 at 09:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thumbup

#39473 November 7th, 2005 at 05:53 PM
S
Stupe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
the shallot is sprucing so many shoots now!

the mini sygnonium RIP already, did all i could, but the root rot was really bad...

sigh...

#39474 November 8th, 2005 at 04:00 AM
Sounds like you are doing great Stupe! thumbup There are some plants that are hard to grow for some people and others don't have to work at it and they thrive for them, so don't get discouraged.

#39475 November 21st, 2005 at 02:55 PM
S
Stupe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
thanks comfrey.

i'm still baby-ing the rosepicta, it's been almost a month since and there is no sign of life after i trimmed off all the dried leaves.

The syngonium has since left me and i've replaced it with some ivy plants, which i nick from the roadside and it's thriving well.

Link Copied to Clipboard