This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39352 April 13th, 2005 at 09:06 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hi I am wondering if it is possible to grow veggies and herbs in planters where I live I am not allowed to plant in the yard so I have two options to either have no garden or to use planters and since no garden is NOT an option for me I am trying to do a container garden...Any helpful hints would be great, also can I make a compost pile in a large planter? If so do I need to purchase earthworms for turning the compost?
Help!!!

#39353 April 13th, 2005 at 09:22 PM
wavey PEACHES
i grow alot of my herbs in containers on my porch because i dont trust the people that cut our lawn
i have several window boxes(not attached to my windows) i set out on my back porch for my herbs and various plants and flowers. large medium and small all over the place with size appropriate plants. your compost question: i use a plastic bucket, that use to hold kitty litter,for my compost. it works very well for me,and its easy to mix it(i dont use worms)i just pop off the lid and with my little trowel i mix it up. i mkeep my bucket in the house next to my fridge.
hopefully weezie will see your question shes a composting maniac thumbup

#39354 April 13th, 2005 at 09:44 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Definitely herbs can be grown in containers. I'm to lazy to go outside when I want chives so they are right next to the chopping block. Basil, parsley, cilanto & marjarom also did fine. Green onions are also growing in a pot in the window right next to the tomatoes I haven't taken outside and probably won't now due to nasty nieghbor pest. And I just had some lettuce sprout indoors that I plan to keep indoors. From what I have been reading here on the forum the most important consideration for indoor gardening anyway, is light. And my apartment gets lots of light all day long.

I was just thinking you said containers not indoors. So I maybe way off base here. If I am just ignore me. I mean well but I'm not terrible bright.

#39355 April 15th, 2005 at 03:27 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Peaches,
We have a few gardeners here that garden in
containers... very easy to do.
And lot's of fun...
Papito in California does all of his gardening
in containers...

And Phoenix is right on target with everything!!!

hopefully weezie will see your question shes a composting maniac
DID SOMEONE SAY COMPOSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTT???? wink laugh

What Phoenix said is right on, do the FORUM SEARCH and type in COMPOST... you'll come up with alot of posts on that subject...
If there's still anything that's still not clear do not hesitate to ask, always very~very happy to help out!!!

Weezie

P.S. We have a few gardener's that garden indoors too with containers too...
so don't forget to ask anything you need to know!!!

#39356 April 15th, 2005 at 10:54 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hi everyone thank you all for the advice some of my plants are inside and some are on my porch. My seeds are growing so fast .SorryI am just soooo excited I was sad to think I wouldn't be able to have a garden now it is working
Thank you all again!!!

#39357 June 23rd, 2005 at 07:49 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Peaches,
Just wondering how your strawberries
and compost is doing???
Keep us posted!!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard