This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39124 March 15th, 2005 at 05:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Warning! Do NOT visit this site if you are squeamish, suffer from cardiac problems or are prone to nightmares! shk

Potato Bugs

#39125 March 15th, 2005 at 09:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can't even look. I want to though, but I can't. I know what I will see, and it scares me, yet still, curiosity gets the best of me. sca
I better wait until this evening after I have had my nightly tonic. Perhaps that will give me the fortitude to look into the abyss that is The potato Bug. eek
Is it tonight yet? shk

#39126 March 15th, 2005 at 11:33 PM
laugh laugh Go ahead and look. The first page is actually quite funny. And definately click the "articles" link!

I didn't see the name "Jeruselum Cricket" listed. But that's what I heard them called first. I have yet to see one in person... but DFiance says that, when they walk down the sidewalk, you can hear their legs click against the pavement.... sca sca

#39127 March 16th, 2005 at 12:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I didn't see the name "Jeruselum Cricket" listed. But that's what I heard them called first.
ROFL!!! Cricket, there is a Jewish potato Bug named after you!!! laugh shk laugh

#39128 March 16th, 2005 at 02:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ROFL!!! Cricket, there is a Jewish Potato Bug named after you!!!
:p But I'm much CUTER! laugh

I'm named after the bunny on the left (the other is Daisy)
[Linked Image]

#39129 March 16th, 2005 at 03:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cricket! That site is hysterical, I can't believe I waited until just now to have a peek! I even tried to check out the message board, but alas, it was down. I mean, this is a site that I could find myself frequenting! The FAQ page was great, it gave me a good giggle, although the pics gave me the heebie jeebies. I can't believe we used to actually have those in our garden, blech! Thanks for the post, that was great.
And I take back what I said, you are MUCH MUCH more cuter than a Jerusalem cricket. That said, it could have been worse, it could have been "bald fetus of Satan"!!! laugh mad laugh

#39130 March 16th, 2005 at 07:20 AM
Here's the one I couldn't get over. muggs

#39131 March 16th, 2005 at 07:43 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
laugh ...you all are a riot!

I in fact have these alien creatures in my yard. I have found five of them so far. And yes, they are supposed to give a nasty bite from what I have been reading. I researched them a couple years ago...but forgot everything I learned. grinnnn muggs

#39132 March 18th, 2005 at 02:08 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
If that's the potato bug what's the one I was told was a potato bug?

It looks like a minature armadillo and rolls into a ball when you touch it and I was told that they were beneficial in the garden.

I'm so confused Duh Duh Duh

#39133 March 19th, 2005 at 02:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
those are called pill bugs or roly poly's

#39134 March 19th, 2005 at 04:25 AM
mad grrrr,potato beetles really s*ck.
But I killed 'em deader than a doornail last year with Pyola.

Here is a link for what they look like.

http://www.ourgardenpests.com/PotatoBug.html

roly polies/pill bugs really are a gardeners friend.Just like Weezie said,they eat dead and decaying plant matter.

Last year I had them chomping on my strawberries. But I think that was because it was a very wet and cool spring and summer.
Also the mulch I was using was wood bark chips.I took all that out and replaced it with wheat straw.Much better drainage.

Voila wink it worked.

flw Duckie

#39135 March 19th, 2005 at 04:09 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Cricket...
I have been plagued by potato bugs for several years, and found the potato Bug website you provided the link for to be very helpful.

Unfortunately, I didn't find my potato bug in any of the pictures. It's similar to the "Devil's Spawn", but has some characteristics of the "Bald Evil Fetus". thumbup

I found this information on the website to be extremely interesting, due to the fact that I am prone to alien encounters:
That very photo clearly shows something resembling a potato bug near one of the Mars rocks. Utilizing N.A.S.A.'s space technology, the photo was hyper-enlarged near the spot where the potato bug stands. PotatoBugs.com obtained the only known print of the Mars potato bug from Turner, who had it attached to his fridge with a Garfield magnet.

"Yeah, it's clearly a potato bug," says Irv Bostich, a friend of Turner's from Castaic.

"My best guess is that potato bugs are extra-terrestrial," reckons Turner. "How else did they get there? How did they get here?"

I have also sent the photograph of my potato bug to NASA, in hopes of identification.

Cindy's Potato Bug
[Linked Image]

#39136 March 21st, 2005 at 01:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
laugh frown laugh
ROFL, Cindy!!! I thought I was the only one who had those in our garden--Of course, I also thought it was because our garden was in California, but nonetheless, I am not alone! I can't wait to hear what NASA has to say! gab

#39137 March 21st, 2005 at 01:40 AM
EEW. What a scary thread you guys!!! OK..EW..EEW EWW...wanna hear something even scarier? Has anyone seen that show fear factor? Well we never watch it...but...on one occasion because one of our models was competeing on it. So theres this one part where they have to shoot this thing at this big wheel and wherever it lands...that would determine the amount of potato BUGS....that they had to EAT! BLAAAHHHHH....YEUCK!!!! So anyways...Masumi, thank GOD, only had to eat one and guess what? She ate it! AAAACK!!!!

#39138 March 21st, 2005 at 05:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No way. You did not just write that! I have to go obsessively brush my teeth now!!! shk

#39139 March 21st, 2005 at 10:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Now, that scares me!
Cindy, that scares me, too! Almost enough to make me want to quit drinking. sca )

She ate it! AAAACK!!!!
Okay, now I will never sleep again. Sleep just isn't worth the nightmares. frown

#39140 March 22nd, 2005 at 01:54 AM
Sorry...I know...so disgusting! Whats sad is she didn't win the competition either. $50,000.00. UMMM...I don't think I'd eat one of those things for 100 grand. Nope. laugh I'll stay poor and have my top ramen.

#39141 March 23rd, 2005 at 05:24 AM
R
R
Hi all! so potato bugs/ nino de la tierra as I know it is not deadly? my parents who are Mexican always said if they bit me i could die in thirty minutes or less. they are ugly though. As a child killed a potato bug by drowning it in my daddy's taquila/ mescal which is a white taquila made from the Yucca plant.

#39142 March 23rd, 2005 at 05:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a child killed a potato bug by drowning it in my daddy's taquila/ mescal which is a white taquila made from the Yucca plant.
Hey, that's alcohol abuse! wink Although I do have to say that if I would use any means necessary to get rid of the darn things. Even my precious tequila! muggs

Link Copied to Clipboard