This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39101 February 13th, 2005 at 04:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Last spring I purchased a "The President" clematis of the pruning group A. Does this mean it blooms on new or old growth? I didn't prune it last year but the quickly swelling leaf buds are reminding me that if I should prune it maybe sooner is better than later?

I read the info on pruning clematis on THG but am still confused! nutz

#39102 February 13th, 2005 at 06:00 AM
O
O
My info says The President is in group 3 which means it blooms both on new shoots and older stems at different times during the year.

The easiest way to prune this group is to cut the vines back severely every few years, thus only sacrificing the early blooms once out of every 3 or 4 years.

You can also divide the plant in half, and severely prune each half in alternate years.

A third way to prune them is to thin out lightly and disentangle stems before growth begins, then go over the plants again after the earliest flowers fade, severely shortening the stems that have borne those flowers. This method would be a yearly pruning.

#39103 February 13th, 2005 at 06:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank, Terry! thumbup That's the best information I've received yet. My confusion stemmed from some people suggesting it needs severe pruning while others telling me to only prune old flowers.

#39104 February 13th, 2005 at 07:41 PM
J
J
Terry l have The President, l prune it every year, no problem. Cricket go with terry's advice.
Will say it is a beauty.

Doreen.

#39105 February 14th, 2005 at 04:58 AM
Okay, Cricket, here I am to confuse the issue, Duh lol.
AHS Encyclopedia of Garden plants...
The President (Clematis Group 2) Free flowering, early, large flowering climber bearing single, rich purple flowers 4-6" across with silver undersides and red anthers in early summer.
Clematis Group 2 - bear flowers in late spring and early Summer on sideshoots arising from the previous year's growth, and in mid to late summer on the current year's growth. (There's more about leaves, etc.)

Going by this info, I'd suggest leaving pruning until after the first flush of bloom (which will come from the previous year's growth); then prune the stragglers and for shape when blooming slows down (because it should bloom again on the current year's growth). That way you get the best of both blooms.
I'd imagine you know that while clematis prefer full sun they do like their roots protected by a mulch or groundcover; that keeps the roots from drying out and overheating.

Hope this doesn't confuse the issue :rolleyes:
Barb, zone 5

#39106 February 14th, 2005 at 07:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks, guys, for all the advice! wavey

I think I'll leave it until after the first bloom then prune it. Last year I just wanted to observe what would happen - I didn't get many blooms the second time round, so pruning might give me more flowers.

And Barb, the clematis is in a large pot set in a southern exposure, with its roots sheltered by a miniature rose, sedum groundcover, and lamb's ear which I now can't remove so keep cutting it back.

Link Copied to Clipboard