This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38977 October 27th, 2005 at 08:36 AM
OP Offline
Hi Everyone... wavey

How often does everyone water their spider plants? Duh I have quite a few now...solid and green and white. They do wonderful at work under the fluorescent lights.
At home they grow much slower and i seem to under or over water them.
They seen to get brown tips and it goes all the way up the stem. I started using distilled water.
Maybe i just fuss over them too much! grinnnn

Thanks for the help!
Greg gab lala

#38978 October 27th, 2005 at 05:15 PM
Greg, I only water mine when the soil feels dry. (About every 10 days, but I don't think you can go by that, as homes in different zones probably differ in humidity & evaporation rates, & also, our plants might not be the same size.) I think they might like to get fairly dry between waterings, but I know for sure that they DON'T like to stay real wet... in fact, when I was gone for 2 weeks, my husband 'faithfully' watered mine every-other day & killed them off! Duh

Yes, I think that you just might be right..."fussing over them too much"! I don't think Spider plants appreciate us as much as we do them, cuz they seem to be happier when they're ignored. (So, maybe you should pretend that you don't like them!!) grinnnn

#38979 October 27th, 2005 at 06:14 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Hey Greg....I have a ton of spiders...was sending them to everyone in the world a few weeks ago when we were moving. I do not claim by any means to know the gardening "correct" care for them....I just know they are the easiest plant I have. Mine seem to like a lot of water..as a matter of fact, when in a hurry, I stick my babies in water and they root & grow in there fine..and I don't pay a lot of attention to them either...so you may be right about babying them a little too much. and mine LOVE a lot of sunshine....I have never had them under flouresent lighting so I don't know how they do in that situation.

I also dont know (but wonder) what conditions make them sprout those runners with the pretty little flowers, & make babies (?)
This is one I had in my moving sale [Linked Image]

This is all the pretty little babies that I had just cut off of it... [Linked Image]

They have those babies when the plant gets very rootbound in it's pot. When I want to start another pot, I snip the babies off and put a bunch of them in the same pot so they will get rootbound faster and bear shoots.
Hope this helps.

#38980 October 27th, 2005 at 08:44 PM
OP Offline
Sure would have liked to come to your sale! Its hard to find spider plants that big around here!
That one you have is beautiful. smile
Mine are in a north and west window. My apt. doesnt seem to be plant friendly..lol
I would like to find a big one like that...maybe i would have better success..
Thanks for the help..!
Greg

#38981 October 27th, 2005 at 09:57 PM
I ignore my spider plants. I have them in the bathroom so they do get humidity. I water them when I remember sothey do get dry. They are beautiful! Some plants like you to ignore them I think the spider plant is one of them. I will also add that when I mist all my hourseplants I do mist thm.

#38982 October 28th, 2005 at 04:54 AM
Awesome Spider, 4Ruddy! thumbup
I've heard that the variegated Spiders have a more massive root structure than the solid dark green ones, but am not sure if that would mean they require different care. I've never been able to keep the variegated ones alive! Which type do you have, Greg?

#38983 October 28th, 2005 at 06:05 AM
OP Offline
I have the variegated and the solid...
I noticed that i have a green with white edge and a white with green edge spider plant..
The variegated do seem to grow slower...
I want to find some more of them...Maybe WalMart still has some left...

Greg smile wavey

#38984 October 28th, 2005 at 06:27 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
more massive root structure
Let me tell you they are a booger to seperate! I seperate them in the spring...and then they are huge by fall...mine grow pretty darn fast and like I said before, I plant several (a lot) of babies in a pot so they will sprout more babies quicker.
Greg, I would be more than happy to send you all the babies you want...I could send the "bigger" babies and I think they would do fine for you. PM me your address if you want some.
I have two more that are bigger than the one in the pic and then 3 ot 4 more in smaller pots and they all have a million babies on them.

#38985 October 29th, 2005 at 08:32 AM
So I've always wondered-is it OK to leave the babies on the mommy? Or, at some point do they need to be separated, and if so, when would that be? Thanks!

#38986 October 29th, 2005 at 10:20 AM
Rozy, it's OK to leave the babies on the runners... they look cool there, so I don't rush to cut mine off & root them unless somebody asks for 1!

Can't tell you how long they'll stay OK on the runners, but I think I've seen other people's runner babies start to turn brown & sicky looking ...which, I think is a definite clue that they want to "leave home"! Sometimes they start looking like they want to throw roots out, cuz they'll grow sort of nubby looking bumps on their crowns (where they're attached), & that's probably another clue. You can snip them off any time, however, & just poke 'em down in moist dirt, as they'll take root in short order, at any age!

I also don't think the Mommy Spider minds having the babies hanging there, cuz she manages to stay healthy, which must mean that they're not sapping her energy.

#38987 October 30th, 2005 at 09:31 AM
I find the best way to determine whether it is overwatering or not is to take the plant out of the pot (just for a minute) and check the status of the roots.. if your over watering the root color will be a yellowish to brown color... if they are healthy they will be very white. hope this helps smile

#38988 October 30th, 2005 at 09:41 AM
wavey

#38989 November 1st, 2005 at 11:42 AM
Many of the previous posts have good advice about watering. I live in Wisconsin and have reverted to indoor gardening, with all my plants under florescent. My spiders like about 8 oz. of water every other day. This is good for a full plant in a 12" diameter pot. Also, I have found that standard florescent lights work just as well as "grow-lights". Plus, full-spectrum lights are good for the human organism as well.

#38990 November 3rd, 2005 at 11:51 AM
OP Offline
Hi everyone.... wavey

Thanks for the help! Im trying to ignor them...lol
I peeked on them today and the varigated one has some yellow leaves beginning on it and the solid has brown tips...
Ok..i peeked! smile
Greg gab :angel:

#38991 November 3rd, 2005 at 04:59 PM
Greg, I also water mine when they are pretty dry and I do think you can neglect them more than most plants. I have heard that the brown tips are from low humudity. But I have never heard of rooting the babys in water, I'll have to try that.
Mine get a lot of indirect light.

Have a great day!

*****Steph wavey

#38992 November 5th, 2005 at 12:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i have a glass full of babies right now that need a pot, gotta do that this weekend :rolleyes:

Link Copied to Clipboard