This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38506 August 21st, 2005 at 10:22 PM
orchid Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all, I am new to this site and am looking forward to being here a lot. I came here to find an answer to why my plants are so much size(huge) and leaf but little flower. This is my first year in this location and most of this soil is purchased in bulk so not sure of its composition.
Thanks

#38507 August 22nd, 2005 at 11:27 AM
Welcome to the forum, Huge leaves, little flowers, what types of plants are you growing?

#38508 August 22nd, 2005 at 07:49 PM
orchid Offline OP
OP Offline
they are all like that...morning glory, tomato, basil, mum, and especially nasturtium is huge with 1 or 2 flowers...I finally uprooted the whole thing

#38509 August 22nd, 2005 at 08:54 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Orchid,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum...
and we're very glad you found us!!!

Second, I'm going to move your post down into
the plants AND flowers SECTION.. I think you'll get a few more answers in there...

And third, I'm going to ask you some questions you can answer for us to help narrow it down a bit for you...

When you said you purchased the soil/dirt in bulk, does that mean it was bagged or brought to you on a truck???
And did you use any fertilizers? If so, what kind was it???

And finally, just wanted to let you know, there
was soooooo much to do here, all thru the seasons, and especially we're still very busy here during the winter months, when it's cold and snowy outside...
Recipes, Crafts, Hobbies, Banter Hall for chatting to get to know everyone, and Game Room...
that gets alot of use in those wintery months..

And really finally, there's lot's of fellow
Canadians here as well, in this very friendly Cyber Community....

#38510 August 23rd, 2005 at 01:02 AM
Hi Orchid, and WELCOME. Have you fertilized? The morning glories and nasturtium will not flower well if fertilized, or may be you have rich dirt where these are planted. However, tomatoes love fertilizer, I feed mine 20-20-20 and the vines are loaded. Don't know much about your basil. Our mums are just now starting to bloom. I fertilze mine once in spring and keep them clipped to about 6-8 inches until the middle-end of June and then let them take off, they are blooming now and should until frost.

Link Copied to Clipboard