This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Smh023 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Continuing....

[Linked Image]
This was my mystery plant, but I seen the same plant in Kroger the other day and I believe it is an Irish Shamrock. When I cut this plant to root it for myself I had no clue what it was I thought it was just neat looking. I know that it will grow towards the sun and it closes up at night like in the picture. Any other information about it, I would love.

[Linked Image]
This is my Palm; don’t know what type of Palm but it likes water. Anyone know anything else about this one?

[Linked Image]
This is my Peace lily.

[Linked Image]
This is my Rubber tree, now I only know a little bit about this plant. Any information would be great!

[Linked Image]
And my Orchid, I love this plant. I got me some Orchid potting soil last night so I did it correctly. I also got the pepples with some water in the bottom tray. Now I’m curious how the pepples and water creates humidity like it does? Does anyone know?
And how often do I need to water a Orchid??

That is all of my “family” so far!
Thanks Everyone.

Hello, Smh023! Beautiful plants. Just wondering, though. Are you sure that your "palm" isn't just a big peace lily? That's what it looks like to me.

Dianna

S
Smh023 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
A Peace lily!! Really??
I didn’t know that peace lilies got that big? Well if it is then it sure fooled me. I just assumed that it was some sort of Palm just bc of the leaves. It does bud white flowers from time to time.
Any other info about them I sure need to know!! thumbup

I have seen them even bigger than that! wink

My peace lily (from my mother's funeral nearly 6 years ago) looks about the size of yours.

Dianna

S
Smh023 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I knew I loved this site!!
I really didn’t know that, that is so interesting.
I think I didn’t know bc I have only seen the smaller peace lilies.

I actually rescued well what I thought was a Palm from my office. Nobody was taking care of it so I brought it home and nursed it back to health again.
So I'm assuming that it takes the same care as the small Peace lily, loves sun and it drinks lots of water.

Any other information would be great too!! On any of my plants!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
one word of caution... if your peace lily has always been inside, let it get used to the sun gradually and never leave it in full sun in the heat of the day. it'll lose its leaves to sunburn. other than that, they get huge depending on the species variation.

S
Smh023 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
My peace lilies have always been inside. I sit them in front of the sliding glass door (I live in an apartment) for sun occasionally.
The big peace lily is kind of tucked into the corner of the door and gets a little bit of sun as you can see in the picture.
The only thing I have noticed is on the smaller one they very bottoms leaves will start to die off and I will just cut them. And on the big one the bottoms leaves will get hard and torn looking and I just cut them too. And it does fine.

Any info on the Rubber tree?
And how often do I need to water the Orchid?

Orchids - depends on the type and how you have them potted. They do like to be moist and humid (overall). Smaller more frequent watering will work. Also don't use tap water, they don't seem to like that.
Your plant looks great. I've had my Cattleya
orchid for a couple of years now, and it still alive. Just repotted it over the winter. It lost an old leaf, but is now growing 2 new ones. You might also want to get an orchid fertalizer, I am using some now as my plant is growing and I hope it will flower. For photos of last year's flowers,
go here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/65018259zVMxBF

wavey smh

i have a purple shamrock too Duh that is until my nana came to see my new house and told me how to take care of it (and what it was) thumbup
i hope that this is ample info for you to raise a happy and beautiful shamrock muggs

Orchids: the moth orchid you have needs to be water every 7-9 days, more in the summer and less in winter. You can stick your fingers in the pot mix, if it feels more than 50% dry, it is time to water. Beware, overwatering is the most common problem in growing orchids.

And the pepples do not "create" humidity. They help to trap the water around them and raise the pot. When water slowly vaporize it increases the humidity around the orchid.

Link Copied to Clipboard