This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38487 January 9th, 2005 at 04:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i got some iris's in a trade (of sorts) and didn't have time or energy to put them in the ground. so i did the next best thing and stuck them in a pot on the back of the kitchen sink, where they have been happy and green for what seems like forever.

do you think, that if i put them out now, in this weird weather, it will be the "right time" to get them in the ground for spring? will they be ok if we have a freeze later? (not worried about the blooms per se, but rather the actual survival of the bulbs)

sheri, you know them better than i, any ideas?

#38488 January 11th, 2005 at 05:29 PM
Hey Jiffy!

I'd stick them in some well-prepared ground, now while we still have this warm front. I'd then cover them over with a generous layer of leaves to help prevent their heaving out of the ground when the freezes inevitably return this weekend. I wouldn't use mulch, as irises really seem to hate anything heavy on them. In spring, just rake the leaves off to expose the rhizomes tops to the sunshine.

Speaking of raking, I'd better get out there while I have a chance!

#38489 January 13th, 2005 at 09:21 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
The Irises outside my house in the US were there before i moved, and we've just left them in the ground all year round. They get hit by snow, and are currently frozen under about a foot of ice, according to Chris lol. So i think its safe to say that they're pretty tough bulbs ^.^

The one i sent to garden mom grew up and flowered in under a few months o.O I guess it found the florida weather and was like "AWESOME!!! WHERE HAVE I BEEN ALL MY LIFE? THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER!" and flowered immediately Duh

But ya ^.^ mine are pretty tough, and i think they'd bloom a lil later on than usual if you stuck em in the ground right now.

~Phoebe

#38490 January 13th, 2005 at 03:13 PM
mine that are out side are all trying to pop up everytime we have a warm spell. I hope they'll be okay. I have some in the house I started from seeds and I think they are still too small to put outside just yet.

I'd be such to mulch good if I put them out now.

#38491 January 13th, 2005 at 09:13 PM
They'll be fine. Rhizomes and bulbs are super tough.

Link Copied to Clipboard