This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37775 November 9th, 2005 at 10:11 AM
N
Nittrox Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi,

I am a grad student in Houston and just took to gardening. I got a healthy Dieffenbachia a few months back and well, now the plant is all but a collection of dying stems. All the leaves are gone and the new ones die before growing completely.

I guess some of the problems could be insufficient light, plant standing in water ( ters ) or not enough nutrients! The problem is I just dont know the problem!

I repotted it yesterday into a bigger pot using new potting soil. Today I noticed a small brown worm in the soil on the surface. I am greatly worried about my plant and dont know what to do.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,
Nittrox

#37776 November 10th, 2005 at 05:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, i wouldn't have used a bigger pot, but the new soil was good. also, you know, diffenbachias can be cut off and the base will send new shoots and the top will root if you just plop it into the soil beside the mother plant. just be careful, the sap is irritating to some.

#37777 November 11th, 2005 at 10:21 AM
N
Nittrox Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks Jiffymouse!

I ll try to cut the stems and plant them beside the mother plant.

I dont understand though, if dieffenbachias can survive in water, why would they wilt in overwatered soil?

#37778 November 11th, 2005 at 10:44 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
In very simple terms... When you set a cutting in water, the water will always be in motion as it heats and rises to the top. During that movement it is picking up fresh oxygen before it circulates back to the bottom of the pool. Waterlogged, soggy soil is too dense for that process to be quick enough to move the oxygen and CO2 to the roots and the plant basically will suffocate.

Be sure to heed Jiffy's warning regarding the sap. I can be very toxic in some cases. The common name "Dumbcane" comes from medieval times when the master (or Lady) of the manor would make the sevants chew a leaf to ensure their silence about certain "no nos" they may have witnessed.
The Dumbcane would cause the servants tongue to swell to a point that they were incapable of speach.... insuring their silence....

Or so the legend goes...

teech Beware of the sap, just to be safe! OK?

#37779 November 13th, 2005 at 06:56 AM
over exposure to the sap on your skin can cause a rash. either wear gloves, or wash your hands really well after handling it.

#37780 November 14th, 2005 at 02:19 AM
N
Nittrox Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks Bill, Sorathien.

The story behind the 'dumb cane' seems pretty insightful and interesting!

Thanks for the tips guys.

Link Copied to Clipboard