This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37217 May 22nd, 2005 at 01:13 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I usually grow chiles and tomatoes every years cuz i'm a salsa freak but this year i got chives added into my growing. i have no idea how to grow them. Help! Do i need to trim them after they flower of in the fall or just let them do what they will?

#37218 May 22nd, 2005 at 02:13 AM
SN Offline
It is best not to allow the chives to flower. Unless you just like the flowers, because once the chives flower, the leaves will be tough.

Also, when you do that and they reseed and new plants are generally inferior to the original plant.

What I have done many times, is just to keep snipping and using the chives, they will keep growing. Dig them up and bring them in when the weather gets cold.

If you don't want to do that, you could try just chopping them completely down before they flower. I have had some that came back that way too.

#37219 May 22nd, 2005 at 03:07 AM
Hi Pepperhead wavey
I don't grow chives..my mom has lots in her garden so I don't bother so I can't help you there. But you said you're a "salsa freak"...I am too!! I'm still in search of a great recipe. Mine always ends of tasting too acidic so I just make fresh salsa. D'ya have a good canning recipe to share? Thanx.
Christina muggs
P.S. I grow plenty of tomatoes and chilis....a lil' heat doesn't scare me one bit. dev

#37220 May 22nd, 2005 at 03:55 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Pepperhead,

Just plant them...

I planted one clump of them a few years ago..
Haven't done a thing to them, except nibble on them...
Haven't watered them, havent' clipped them,
nothing..
I now have 7 clumps of them......plus two little clumps just starting..

When the flower goes to seed, where ever that seed head falls down, or the wind blows the seed from the flower head, you'll get baby chive clumps growing around it..
*providing theres' just dirt around the clump area and nothing is done to the area around it.*

Weezie

#37221 May 22nd, 2005 at 07:39 AM
N
N
You can let them seed but you could end up with a ton of chives that way. I don't let them seed. You want to use the leaves before they get too old, that's when they get tough. If you have no use for them, cut them anyway you'll get new tender shoots for later.

You can eat the flowers, just snip and toss in a salad.

I grow garlic chives, very tasty.

Link Copied to Clipboard