This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36831 January 6th, 2005 at 06:59 PM
P
Parae Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I Live in Upstate Western Ny
I just found this site , looking for info on the best way to seperate and replant a large Jade plant
need advice !
Thanks

#36832 January 13th, 2005 at 08:50 AM
B
B
I don't know much about seperating jade plants, but I have to ask, why do you want to do that? If it's just because you'd like to have two jade plants instead of one, consider taking a cutting or three from the current plant and using those to make a new plant, much less risky and the process can be repeated many times.

#36833 January 13th, 2005 at 06:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Parae,

i can't answer your question specifically, but here is a link that might help. at the bottom of the page there are a few more as well. good luck!

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/rootlessjade.htm

#36834 January 13th, 2005 at 08:29 PM
P
P
I have 18 jade plants in ceramic containers half are over 15 years old. When I want more, I take cuttings from the mother plants and replant them [in soil] in other containers. So far I have had no problems. Jade plants are the easiest to grow, and they'll thrive even when neglected.

#36835 January 13th, 2005 at 09:36 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Hi Parae, and welcome to The Garden Helper wavey

I have several jades that are grown outside. You can divide by digging half the roots etc. "IF" there are multiple stems but I DO NOT RECOMMEND that!....it makes the plant want to fall over because of lack of root structure beneath the soil....like I said it can be done but it is a lot riskier and supports etc. would be necessary until the plant regrows those supporting roots.

Like others have stated I would take a nice healthy branch(refer to Bill's write up on how to remove and plant)....let it heal over (callous) for a couple days in the shade and then plant that section.

Some people worry about their jade branches leaning over when they get heavy...don't worry about it....they will produce a lot of little babies on the stem and you will have a much fuller plant. Jades are very forgiving plants and you can trim and cut etc. and they will come back again. The important thing is watering....they love quite a bit of water during certain times of the year(once established)...jades do have a resting period in which less water will be required. Something very important if growing them in pots in the house...make sure you let the top 1/3 of the soil dry before rewatering once established or you will end up with those dreaded fungus gnats.

Now remember I live in California and mine are planted outside. The more light jades have, will cause them to have a slight red along the tips of the pads(leaves). Right now my jades are blooming. wavey

Link Copied to Clipboard