This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36719 January 8th, 2005 at 08:57 PM
P
Paul C. Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Recently I obtained fresh Basil at a store in California and noticed that it is much different from the basil I either grow or obtain from the local produce stores in my area (Eastern Pennsylvania - USA). The California Basil has a much stronger almost licorice taste. My question: Does anyone know the difference or where and what to buy if planting my own of the "California" type. Thanks much.

#36720 January 8th, 2005 at 10:26 PM
C
C
Well there is a type of basil that is licorice. Theres probably 50 different kinds of basil.

#36721 January 8th, 2005 at 10:52 PM
P
Paul C. Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the response. This is a real mystery to me because I first noticed the difference when I ordered an appetizer at a restaurant (fresh mozzarrella, tomatoes and basil. The basil was much stronger than I had ever noticed before. Definitely basil but a strong hint of licorice or anise. It made the appetizer incredibly better. I even asked the chef. he said it was just basil. I had the same basil in two other restaurants in the Los Angeles area. The mystery is: What kind of basil and how does one get a plant or seeds. Anyone have any ideas?

#36722 January 8th, 2005 at 11:55 PM
C
C
Ok Paul. Its called anise basil. Its the "sophisticated name " for it.

Heres some organic anise basil

#36723 January 9th, 2005 at 04:08 AM
P
Paul C. Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Cory, Thank you. I ordered from you site reference. Thanks again.

#36724 January 9th, 2005 at 11:45 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Paul, isn't it fun discovering the different "flavors" of basil? Basil is a staple around our house and I usually have about 4-5 variaties in my herb garden. My favorite is the African Blue Basil...but if I don't get it from the nursery early in the spring they run out quickly so I didn't have that one last year. My usuals are lemon basil, cinnamon basil, genovese basil and I tried red rueben basil last year and wasn't particularly fond on it. Have fun trying new ones! wink

#36725 January 13th, 2005 at 07:28 AM
T
T
basil roots fairly quickly from stem cuttings. if i find something i don't have or think i 'need', i've asked my waitress to ask the chef to please send an extra sprig or two to the table, i always offer to pay, moisten a napkin from my water glass, loosely wrap the herb and place in potting mix the next day. i've also purchased packets of calif herbs from the produce section at the grocery and rooted the pieces, most of the time with good sucess

Link Copied to Clipboard