This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36289 September 24th, 2005 at 10:47 AM
E
OP Offline
E
My hibiscus was finally starting to be happy last month. We went on vacation 2 weeks ago. I left a neighbour in charge & wrapped the pot in a plastic bag to help with moisture in case she couldn't get in to water everyday. While we were away she was hospitalized & the bag was never opened. We returned to find the pot covered in mold & mold growing up the stem. I removed the bag and moldy soil, added fresh soil with cornmeal & washed the trunk with cornmeal tea. Only a handful of branches have leaves now & I'm sure it will recover (they are nice, green & shiny) - is this a good time to prune or should I wait? will it encourage new growth on the empty stems? should I leave some leaves on the plant - if I cut them all will it kill it? should I prune part and leave the branches with leaves alone for now? I'm also in the process of moving it indoors for the winter. Any thoughts?
Elisabeth

#36290 September 25th, 2005 at 08:06 PM
I'd only trim back what you know is dead.
It has had a shock, so don't prune it back - I would think that would stress it even more.
Remember, tropical hibiscus don't actually HAVE to be trimmed, one just does it for size control and shaping.
Good luck and I hope your friend's doing better.
Barb

#36291 September 28th, 2005 at 08:00 AM
are the leaves green and shiny? doesn't that mean it is a tropical hibiscus?

anyway - I have a beautiful tropical hibiscus and moved it from a bed that was getting too much water to a pot. Right after the transplant, it lost almost all of its leaves (and here I thought I was going to "help" it). I was almost ready to dump it when I noticed new leaves... now it is full again of new leaves.. its only been a month. Be patient, it just may have went into shock.

#36292 September 29th, 2005 at 05:03 AM
E
OP Offline
E
I have been watching it carefully over the last bit. All the dead leaves are off now. It is a braided hibiscus and tropical. I have observed that all the green leaves are on one of the stems and the other two are bare and are now beginning to shrivel. I am considering cutting one or two of the shrivelling branches to see if they are alive at any point.
I have been continuing to battle the mold. At this point I have removed the dirt I put back on and left the top roots bare for a couple days. This seems to be helping and in a few days I will add fresh dirt.
Elisabeth

Link Copied to Clipboard