This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#35836 November 9th, 2005 at 06:29 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
WOW! Thanks, Elsie!
My mistake! shocked
I know about Chloramine, but totally forgot about it when I posted before! It's not used in the water system here, so it's not something I even think about, when doing water changes in our fish tank! (I should have put more thought into what I was writing, as I am aware of the vast reaches this Forum has!) I shudder to think that Margaret's (or anyone's) fish could have died before she (they) even got the chance to enjoy it, because of what I said! shocked eek My apology to Sorathien as well, for the implied contradiction to her post! shocked

Chloramine is a combination of Chlorine and Ammonia, which is more stable than Chlorine, by itself, is & that's why some areas are using it in their water systems now. It's my understanding that it is highly toxic to fish because ammonia, even in low levels, is toxic to them. It takes a week or more to dissipate when exposed to air, which is longer than most of us want a pan of water sitting around (collecting dust) so we can put it in our Beta vase!

I would suggest that Margaret call her local water company & ask if Chloramine is used to purify the water in their treatment plant, & if so, ask how the public is to be informed if/when the ratio is to be increased. (It might not hurt to ask about the PPM level too, if she'll need to use a neutralizer for her fish.)

I understand that there are several "dechlorinators" on the market, but not all of them are formulated expressly for fish tanks. (Some only "dechlorinate", while others break down chloramine & bind up the ammonia, which is the action needed for aquatic creatures.) By all means, if a "dechlorinator" is needed, a person should consult an aquarium shop, to make sure they're buying & using the right one!

If Chloramine is not present in a water system, DECHLORINATING the old fashioned way, by leaving water in an open container overnight, has been done for decades & is still acceptable as far as I know... works for me, anyway! (Aerators in fish tanks accomplish this task without any additional treatment, if Chlorine alone, is present in the water.)

>-))))'> ... >-))))'> .PERSONAL OPINION.>-))))'> ...>-))))'>

I don't believe that the average person knows the difference between Chloramine & Chlorine, nor about the impact of either, on aquatic life. The term "dechlorinator" is a gross misnomer, in that it implies that Chlorine is the target of removal... which it's not! I think that the Public should be more educated about Chloramine, & that its neutralizer should carry the more accurate label of "dechloraminator", because the 2 terms ARE vitally different! In our highly technical society we've come up with short-cut names to make communication more convenient, but in this case, speaking accurately (& technically) about something as important as water treatments, should take a higher priority in the Marketplace!
........ >-))))'> .......... >-))))'> ......... >-))))'> ........... >-))))'>.........

(Gosh, I can't believe that starting this thread... about plants THAT LIVE IN WATER, has led to this!) It's been interesting! Thanks, everybody! thumbup

#35837 November 9th, 2005 at 08:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Couldn't you just buy distilled water for the vase???? That's what my directions said to do when I bought my betta...and I got it pretty cheap at walmart, the generic brand....

#35838 November 10th, 2005 at 12:57 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, THAT would sure simplify things if you just want a Beta vase & don't have to worry about a whole fish tank!!! Thanks, Loz! [Linked Image] I hadn't thought about using bottled water! We can use our water right out of the tap, here. thumbup

#35839 November 10th, 2005 at 06:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by Patty S:
...We can use our water right out of the tap, here. thumbup
i too can use my water right out of the tap because i have a well. but, even at that, one needs to be careful. i found out the hard way that i was lucky, i had to refill my pond 2 times in under 4 hours and i didn't lose a single fish thumbup but, it could have easily gone the other way.

#35840 November 13th, 2005 at 07:07 AM
bettas do need to be given a fast one day a week. in the wild, they certainly wouldnt have someone dropping yummy blood worms or pellets around for them. they have to HUNT, and not every hunt is sucessfull. all PREDATORY animals digestive systems are designed to deal with days, sometimes even weeks with no food and not shut down.

herbavores on the other hand, and most omnivores, are designed to have a constant supply of food running through their digestive tracts. they are designed to deal with ingesting a high volume of food thats high in fiber and relatively low in nutrients, while carnivores are the opposite.

#35841 November 14th, 2005 at 04:07 AM
N
N
This thread is really cool...with all the pictures of pretty plants.

I am going to get started on my 'plants in water' right away. thumbup

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard