This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35679 October 20th, 2005 at 08:50 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hi everyone!! I'm a newbie to the site. My first two weeks of summer vacation were spent cleaning out and weeding my mother's flower beds that went all around our fenced back yard in California. Hated It!!! I always said I was going to dig up everything, concrete it and paint it green when I grew up and had my own yard. And NOW!!! My nephew probably feel the same about our yard. I love exotic plants and we have several levels to the yard and plant different things on each one. I have two red banana trees that have sent up six or seven babies this summer and I have no idea how to divide and repot. Any ideas?!?!

#35680 October 20th, 2005 at 11:23 PM
so ya never have dug them huh.well ya want a sharp shovel...maybe a axe(or a broke shovel& a hammer to beat it with)you can lossen the soil around them and see where the roots and croms are you'll be able to make out which crom root thinggy goes with which one.I found one was pretty forgiveing.I misjudged my axe blow and missed where was aiming& divided one crom in half....and the smaller half actually grew.I had tossed in compost and rolled to edge& it sprouted...no pot just laid there...I planted it its grown.it didn't really have any roots,just the crom it self.I claim it re generated..lol

So you have them in raised beds?or did re-pot mean they are grown in pots?So this your 1st year growing them?you moved in what time of year? I'm also not sure of your zone as don't know where you are exactely.you can use fleece or row cover fabric or burlap to wrap the trunks for cold stuff .I'm a TX 8b but have not wraped my trunks.I removed leaves after frost got um.

#35681 October 21st, 2005 at 02:48 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I'm in zone 7, north-central Georgia right outside Atlanta. They are in pots now but we are thinking of planting them in the spring. This fall we're just gonna take your advice, dig them up, divide the croms, put them in a pot with dry potting soil, put them in the basement and hope I don't mess up.

Link Copied to Clipboard