This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35582 October 4th, 2005 at 12:39 AM
R
reguy Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hello,

I think I have a white fly infestation on my peppers. I noticed some of the leaves started turning yellowish with brown spots and falling off. Upon closer inspection, I noticed some whitefly larvae(?) I think...little tan seed-like thingies on the bottom of the leaves. I've actually seem a few white flies on my other pepper plants.

I have an old bottle of Ortho Malathion concentrate. It says it's good for use against white fly. But my question is: would you actually use it? I live in SoCal...and I remember 10-15 years ago when they used helicopters to spray Malathion (not sure if it's the same strength as what I have...) and told people to stay indoors and close their windows. So...would any of you feel safe using Malathion on your pepper plants and still expect to eat them?

Steve wink

PS: Incidentally, I noticed the white fly infestation a week or so after my preying mantis left me. She hung out (literally) on some of my pepper plants for about a month before she probably got bored and left.

#35583 October 4th, 2005 at 02:35 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Hi Steve...I live in North County San Diego!!!!
I use Malathion on "mealy bugs" and other different outdoor plants...but I would never use it on something edible.
Besides that the smell will knock you over for a few days.

Soap and water solution sprayed will work temporarily on white fly...but make sure you rinse it off after maybe an hour or you will kill the plant. If you don't have that many plants then you can just use running water and hand wash the back of the leaves.

White flies get my hibiscus and I just shoot a rapid jet up and under in different directions to get the bulk of them off. They start out with a white ring on the back of the leaves and rapidly circle within that ring...then you will have the cobwebby looking white gunk hanging from the leaves along with the adult white flies.
I did use a chemical(not Malathion) 2 years ago on one of my hibiscus and it is still working....I can't remember the name of it and really need to spray my other 6 plants....I am tired of fighting them.

Maybe someone else will come by with their experience!!!
Catlover

#35584 October 8th, 2005 at 05:52 AM
Malathion! Why use something toxic http://www.chem-tox.com/malathion/research/

when there's so many safe and effective alternatives! If you've got whitefly problems http://www.whitefly.org then why not order a bottle of SBPI http://www.sbpi.co.uk This stuff works really well on mealybug as well!

#35585 October 8th, 2005 at 07:04 AM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
Malathion! Why use something toxic http://www.chem-tox.com/malathion/research/

when there's so many safe and effective alternatives!

Respectively disagreeing here.

Malathion is one of the safer pesticides, and it is labeled for use on vegetables. Just be aware of the time until harvest statement which is on the label.
As far as the link that was supplied goes, you can find a "horror site" for just about any pesticide out there on the market. They are actually easier to find then a site which gives the true low down on a given pesticide.
I have been involved with quite a few studies myself dealing with the use of particular pesticides, (mostly organophosphate) and know the true results. I have seen papers and other literature written on some of these pesticides saying the exact opposite of what the true findings were, quoting some "private or school study" that was preformed.
Most of these are very biased in one direction or the other, and I refuse to listen to any of them.
The best sources of information of what the toxicity and any long term effects of a pesticide would be the MSDS or Material Safety Data Sheet, and the label itself. They provide you with a wealth of information.
Neither item promotes the use of the products, they are made to inform you of any hazards or long term ill effects that exposure to products may give.
The Environmental Protection Agency governs the wording on these, NOT the companies who sell the items.
As far as malathion goes, it is one of the most common pesticides on the market, and unless you have been purchasing "organically grown" ( a whole nother pet peeve of mine but we can go there another time) you have already been exposed to it, as it is used by farmers across the nation.
It is a cheap, broad spectrum insecticide that breaks down fairly quickly.

I do not condone the use of pesticides all the time, as there are at times other alternatives.
However for whitefly, there are about a couple of 10000 ole wives tales out there and 99.999% of them do not work. Without the use of pesticides, once a plant is infested, whitefly can be a difficult problem to control, most of the time you are trying to keep the population down below the level where they are doing major damage, which will be very difficult to say the least.
One non poison control for them would be insecticidal soap, but that can be difficult to use outdoors as it can burn plants in bright sunlight.

Just my 2 cents on the subject
I hope it helps

#35586 October 8th, 2005 at 09:33 AM
wavey Hello Reguy,and welcome.

I am an organic gardener. wink
Here is my 2 cents.

Another "horror site"...ie: "old wives tale"

http://www.panna.org/resources/pestis/PESTIS.burst.695.html

:rolleyes: If you really trust the EPA.
Well heck,go ahead and make a playset for your kids out of cca lumber.
http://www.uwex.edu/news/2001/08/treated-lumber-a-consumer-arsenic-alert

For many years the EPA said it was a-ok.

#35587 October 8th, 2005 at 12:10 PM
R
reguy Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the input guys. During the 1990's when SoCal did the airborne malathion spraying over populated areas to control the fruit fly, there were always horror stories about malathion in the news. Whether they were 100% true or somewhat exaggerated, I don't know. They did stop spraying after a while though.

Out of convenience, I used the malathion. I figured I'm here, there's a bottle of it here...I got a sprayer...

So far, the malathion spray seems to stop the whiteflies as the leaves of my pepper plants stopped turning yellow and brown and falling off. Found a few dead caterpillars on the ground too! Heh... dev There is that obnoxious chemical smell, but that went away after a day.

Thanks!
Steve wink

#35588 October 8th, 2005 at 07:33 PM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
Duckie

Lets continue this discussion on "organics vs chemicals" with its own thread, so we don't warp this one.

smile

Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard