This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
mike57 Offline OP
OP Offline
HI wavey all has anyone ever grown a mango tree from seed?i am trying to find imformation on how to grow one.anyone have any imformation that might help me get one started.thanks your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw

Hey, Mike! I don't have any information to offer on the mango, but I wanted to tell you that you were missed. It's good to see you back and posting!

Dianna

Hi Mike ~

I do know that the real seed is inside what looks like the seed. You need to let it dry out a bit, and then crack it open along the sides. The seed is inside, and a bit softer. I was able to get one to germinate recently, but it must have been too wet because it rotted and died before the first leaf grew out.

Good luck!

mike57 Offline OP
OP Offline
HI wavey THANKS for the welcome back. i have been working in my flower beds a lot the past week so i havnt been on much.and thanks for the imformation on the mango seed.guess i will give it a try keeping my fingers n toes crossed laugh i am gonna try and grow a few just in case some dont make it.i know i will have to grow it in a pot as they dont tolarate the winter weather that way i can bring it in during the winter mounths.thanks again your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Good Luck Mike,

I don't think I have ever had a mango. And I have definitely never grown any kind of fruit. Well unless you count the tomato.

Do you think I could grow a mango tree in Maine, if I put it in a pot maybe? I love mangos! Yum!!!

P
P
Mike,

I've tried accidently and on purpose, but without success. I eat a lot of mango, and I compost everything, so the mango pits ended up in the compost pile. I was not as experienced at composting at the time, so I was attempting to hot compost, but essentially I was cold composting. Anyway, I was out turning the pile one day, and I spotted this whip growing out of the corner of the compost pile. I thought it was a weed, so I went to pull it, and a mango pit came along with it. I tried to pot it up, but it just ended up dying.

Since then, I've planted the pits from the sweetest Haydens. I did get one or two to sprout, but they eventually faded and died. I don't know if I overwatered, underwatered, underfertilized or if the soil or air temps were too cold. I was so disappointed that I couldn't keep the plants alive. Duh

I've looked on-line also, and I came across a site that encouraged people to grow mangos from seed, but they had no instructions. I'll keep looking, and if you find anything please let me know.

P
P
Please try this link:

How to start Mango, Papaya & Guava Seeds

I have several two-year old mangoes grown from seeds in containers . Grafted trees will begin bearing in 2 to 3 years. seedlings take 4 to 5 years. The best areas to grow mangoes are in Hawaii and the southern parts of California and Florida. I had a 5-y.o. mango tree and a 2-y.o. papaya tree that were killed by frost 2 years ago.

As for guava, I have ten [10-y.o.] Feijoa [fay-HOE-uh]sellowiana [pineapple guava] planted in half-wine barrels. They are all blooming right now.

mike57 Offline OP
OP Offline
HI wavey papito thanks for the link its just what i was looking for wavey flw flw

P
P
Papito, thanks for the link. Where did you get your guava seeds from? I can't find guava fruit here in Illinois, but I'd be interested in trying to grow guava.

P
P
Nevermind. I found the seeds on the same site.

Link Copied to Clipboard