This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35334 May 20th, 2005 at 06:44 PM
Fernie Offline OP
Snow Bunny
OP Offline
Snow Bunny
with this wonderful stump in my back yard.

[Linked Image]

I have tons of different mosses on it (Wee Willie would have to tell me what and how many kinds and if lichens are included) and I set a turtle rain gauge on it. But I still don't know what to plant around, or over it or whatever. I think it is so cool looking but my husband wants to pull it out!!!!!! eek eek

#35335 May 20th, 2005 at 07:15 PM
if the sun isn't too strong in that area you could put some ferns around it. have some ivy grow on it (well over it) or if there are any parts of the stump that you could stuff some soil in, you could actually plant "in" it i have some neat green succulent type stuff i have planted around my yard that doesn't require depth to grow. i could send you some. it creeps along and comes in more beautiful each season. i just don't know the name of it. very low maintenance and easy to grow thumbup

#35336 May 21st, 2005 at 01:12 AM
Fernie Offline OP
Snow Bunny
OP Offline
Snow Bunny
I love the fern idea but I think it gets too much sun in the hottest part of the day. Do you have a picture of your succulent? My stump already has some soil on it....and I don't like ivy so......sounds like a good idea.

#35337 May 21st, 2005 at 01:35 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Here are some shallow root plants that you might want to take a look at:

Hen & Chicks
Salal (Gaultheria shallon)
Wintergreen (Gauitheria procumbens) this maybe at the bottom of the stump so that it gets partial shade.
Bunchberry (Comus canadansis)
Moss Pink (Phoix subutata)
Basket of Gold (Aurinia saxatius)

Maybe something here will look good.

#35338 May 22nd, 2005 at 09:18 PM
R
R
There are alot of different types of Hens and Chicks. Check out this site:

http://www.houseleeks.freeserve.co.uk/semps.htm

I can't get enough of sempervivum and alpines.

#35339 May 23rd, 2005 at 03:53 PM
Fernie Offline OP
Snow Bunny
OP Offline
Snow Bunny
WOW the picture of the different colors together is something else! I was turning my nose up at the hen and chicks idea until I saw these. And I didn't know they could bloom. The possibilities are becoming endless.......HELP!

idea shk

#35340 May 23rd, 2005 at 04:18 PM
Do you have a picture of your succulent?
yes i do grinnnn i was thinking about you and your "dilema" this weekend so i DID take a picture but i unfortunately didn't have time to get on my home computer. i could send it directly to your e-mail if you would like!? just pm me and i'll send it right away grinnnn

#35341 May 25th, 2005 at 06:48 AM
hmmm. Ok, I don't want to play the bad landscaper,but I just can't help thinking the stump looks messy. I'm really sorry to say that...but I can't help going with my gut on this. I just think you could do so much with that space if you got rid of the tree stump! You could put in a meandering path...you could put a cool hammock there, you could make a really great fountain, or ANYTHING! I think what you're doing is trying to make something out of an interesting (but not visually pleasing) artifact of some poor tree that's had to be cut down. Please don't think I'm being critical...I'm just offering my opinion. No offense intended.

Kristi

Link Copied to Clipboard