This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35268 March 31st, 2005 at 11:52 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Recently moved into a place with 3 huge pine trees in the front yard. Up to me - they would be gone - dont get upset - the other half loves them and says they stay. Ok - there is a bark border underneath them. What kind of plants will grow underneath these things? I was thinking of spiradically planting some hostas and ferns - but am wondering if they will be ok with the acidic soil. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#35269 April 1st, 2005 at 12:08 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I know the ferns will love it underneath the pines. I bought some hosta this year but haven't planted it yet and don't have an pine trees where I am so I can't say about them. If your soil is too acidic could you add lime or would that be a problem for the pine trees?

#35270 April 1st, 2005 at 12:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
:rolleyes: i am not sure there is anything that is a problem for pine trees! i know that once one is established, about the only way to kill one is collar rot or cut it down. so adding lime shouldn't hurt it.

#35271 April 1st, 2005 at 05:13 AM
Next to my huge pine I have 2 small azalea bushes that have been doing great for god-knows-how-long. They do get SOME sun, but not much-(north side, late afternoon, around the shadow of the pine)-Good luck! wavey

#35272 April 2nd, 2005 at 02:20 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks much for the responses. Azalea - never even crossed my mind. Thank you.

Adding the lime - and as pointed out shouldnt harm the trees, as they have been around longer than me - though does this really solve the problem of reducing acidity? enough for me to plant non acid loving plants?

#35273 April 2nd, 2005 at 03:17 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
lime is the answer for correcting the ph in acidic soil. I've been told you can get a soil analyser kit for around 10.00. Once you know the number the lime comes with a chart of how much to add to the soil to change the ph.

I hope I have that right. I've been reading and reading but sometimes the information gets confused in my brain.

Link Copied to Clipboard