This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35247 May 26th, 2005 at 07:14 PM
N
OP Offline
N
I grew a Silver Maple from seed, it was a house plant for years. I topped it twice when it was young so the trunk quickly split into four about a foot from the ground. Not what you usually see in a yard.

Advantages? The tree will not grow as tall. Disadvantages? Higher risk of wind damage.

To counter the wind threat the tree needs companions. I considered Oak but I can live without the acorns. I considered Sugar and Red Maple. I found some Tulip Popular (cool looking flower huh?) seeds and decided that would should be the major companion for my Silver. When it's large enough, I'll tranplant it south-by-southeast of the Silver. I have an Eastern Red Cedar growing in it's shade straight north. I'll add a dogwood north-by-north east, a Crabapple well west and another evergreen something in there somewhere.

Woodscaping? Primarily natives, grown in clusters, that provide food and shelter for wildlife as a landscape concept.

#35248 June 10th, 2005 at 08:00 AM
F
F
I find the Eastern Red Cedar to be a very valuable tree. It provides the home owner privacy and shade. Birds love it for nesting and it gives them protection and shelter from the harsh weather.

Link Copied to Clipboard