This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34888 February 16th, 2005 at 08:16 AM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
Hi!
I was lookin at my bromeliad, which i rescued from walmart *omg it was almost dead!* and i was lookin at the flower. Then i thought about the other flowers i've seen, and started wondering, "Howcome my bromeliad flower doesn't look like the same shape as the other flowers?"

So ya, i went to Wentworth's and saw two basic shapes for the flowers:
The Rosette
The Flat one

Mine's the flat one, which i was hoping would turn into a rosette, but ya, that's my question ^.^
Do they end up both looking the same in the end, or are they definately different?

Thank you ^.^

~Phoebe

#34889 February 17th, 2005 at 01:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
definitely different, but the flat ones are easier to get the seeds from smile

#34890 February 17th, 2005 at 03:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Phoebe,

Bromeliad is a large family of plant species that includes such diverse plants as the pineapple, Spanish moss, and air plants.

The flat Bromeliad that you referred to is probably a Neoregelia. The taller Bromeliads that are commonly sold are Guzmania and Aechmea.

#34891 February 17th, 2005 at 10:32 PM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
Oh okay, cool smile Thank you! I think i'm gonna get one of the ones with a rosette type flower. I like those ones more than the flat ones, because they have more definition and spaces in them ^.^ Plus they hold water in the flower too thumbup

~Phoebe

#34892 February 18th, 2005 at 03:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know it's neat to put water in the Bromeliad cup, but it is no longer recommended except in locations that are quite warm and breezy. There is a risk of rotting the cup if the water stagnates. Watering just the soil works just fine.

I recommend a Guzmania because their flowers can last up to 6 months in good light. I don't know of any other flower that will last as long as that.

Will

#34893 February 18th, 2005 at 04:33 AM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
I know!! Bromeliads are so cool ^.^ I like em, cuz they look cool, even without their flowers smile there's also talk about one being carnivorous, but they're not quite sure. They found bug carcases in this species cup on several occasions.

But ya, what i do to keep the water from becoming stagnent is i rinse it out every once in a while by pouring fresh water on top of it so the rest of the old water falls out and into my other plants ^.^

Its still in its 2" cup right now cuz there's a very small root system. So i'll wait till i see roots coming out of the bottom before i repot it ^.^

~Phoebe

Link Copied to Clipboard