This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34875 February 11th, 2005 at 06:20 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Hello,
will loquat trees survive in my area? I live in lexington county South Carolina and according to the USDA map I sit right on the borderline of zone 7b and 8. The coldest night here this winter has been 14F and only overnight. I see different references for this tree listing it anywhere from a zone 7 to a zone 8 as a minimum. If anyone out there has experience growing these please let me know.
Thanks,
Emymouse

#34876 February 12th, 2005 at 02:22 AM
I can tell you what I do know.Loquats are a hardy type orange tree.Established trees can survive temps of 12.temps of 19 will kill the buds& the mature flowers seeds are killed at 25-26.There are some whiteish fruit varieties that will handle cooler temps.I grow 1 loquat and don't know its cultiver.I just know it came from brazil.(my neighbors friend went to brazil for a year and he brought some back.we each have one)mine is broad leafed.I believe her friend said if it did not set fruit it is infertile meaning it needs another type for pollon to cross so will fruit.most only grow about 10 ft but some of the loquat grow as tall as 20 feet.It will fruit from oct- March,but will flower all summer.I use citris spikes are a 6/6/6 one spike in spring one spike in fall and chicken poo they love.
On cold snaps..can tie a stake to tree...drape with sheet& stick a light under it for protection when fruit are on tree.most of my freezes are brief...barely 6 hours if that.what you want to watch for is if frost gets the leaves and sun hits them.it will scorch the leaves and fruit you don't want that.

I have a scrap of paper in kumquat section of my plant book.it has these white varieties
Advance~lg yellow/self fertile
Benlehr~thin skined
Champagne yellow self fertile
Herdsmammoth~BAD
Victory Lg
Vista white~good sugar,sweeter than gold nugget.

I think I only wrote self fertile kinds.

#34877 February 12th, 2005 at 03:09 PM
Hi Enjoynit--

I don't think a loquat is a member of the citrus family.
Auburn Loquat This site says Auburn is about as far north as the tree will fruit.

Floridata--Loquat This says it's a member of the rose family.

Kumquats look a lot like loquats but I found kumquats a lot more on the sour side. Loquats or Japanese Plums blossom in the fall and winter and are very susceptible to having the blossoms frozen.

Ann

#34878 February 12th, 2005 at 03:34 PM
This loquat was sweet inside but sour outside(kinda reminds ya of them tangerine altoids)Mine was in full of fruit When Linda brung it to me about Mayish.it got some sun scorch durring the summer and looked ratty,but now it looks great.I probably woulda had fruit this time,but my dog chewed the tips.I was gonna root a branch,but he said was true from seed(only I don't recall them things haveing any seeds)I'll try to remember to snap a shot the next time I'm checking it(I'm not re locateing it till it fruits again.) I tried calling ms.jessies son again but he's out on the oil rig,but he'll call me back.He use to work for rio Valley fruits.

This is what my loquat looks like.mine didn't fruit this year,but he said cause was transplanted.Mine is 4 yrs old.Loquat will grow true from seed.He said to protect from a hard frost.make a dome tent with plastic or tarp.cover and can add a blanket and stick a light under.he don't recomend small heater cause can get too hot.and mid morning when temps are more up, can un cover.he said is better to grow where don't get morning sun,but later sun...and he asked....do you really get alot of days in the 90s there???

tradewindsfruit.com

I like this site he sent me too.I checked out all the citris.I got a new crit

Link Copied to Clipboard