This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34398 April 22nd, 2005 at 07:11 PM
4Ruddy Offline OP
Wild Woman
OP Offline
Wild Woman
I need some ideas quick! My strawberry bed looks wonderful this year, had my first red berry day before yesterday....BUT....the birds are eating them as quick as they come on. I have a million green berries and would really like to have some for US. I tried putting the wind whirly things in there and last year tried the tin pan thing in the tomato bed to keep the birds from pecking a hole in every stinkin tomato. There are robins, blue jays and mocking birds. I love the birds...but didn't plant the garden just for them! Is there anything I can do?

#34399 April 22nd, 2005 at 07:14 PM
4Ruddy Offline OP
Wild Woman
OP Offline
Wild Woman
OOPS!!! Probably should have put this in the plant pest & problem forum.... Duh Duh

#34400 April 22nd, 2005 at 07:24 PM
O
O
What about bird netting? I think Lowes or Wal-Mart has it. If you lay it right on the plants, the birds will probably still be able to reach some of them, but you would save a lot.

#34401 April 22nd, 2005 at 07:52 PM
how about a scarecrow? laugh laugh just kidding(i'm sorry going nutz at work)

what about animal fur or a realistic animal statue? the netting is a great idea maybe if you double it up so the "holes" are not as big.

#34402 April 22nd, 2005 at 11:47 PM
The bird netting works great. Hang it above the plants, and the birds will stay away. I have the same problem if I don't use it.

#34403 April 23rd, 2005 at 12:21 AM
4Ruddy Offline OP
Wild Woman
OP Offline
Wild Woman
Aha...bird netting. I knew there must be SOMETHING! A friend came by and looked and he suggested chicken wire...but I don't really want to "cage" my beds in...I can live with the netting. Hope they have it at our Wal-Mart...haven't ever seen it, but then again...didn't know there was such a thing! Thanks guys! cool

#34404 April 23rd, 2005 at 12:36 AM
wink I use fake snakes in my strawberry bed.Some of them I bought at the store,and some are just old hoses.

After the strawberries are finished, I move them over to the raspberry patch.

About those holes in your tomatoes.That happened to me last year.I think maybe the birds just got thirsty.
I put an old crockpot full of water by the tomatoes and they stopped pecking them.

#34405 April 24th, 2005 at 05:41 PM
B
B
Definitely look at netting. I've used the fake snake thing and that helps. I've also read that if you set up a bird feeding and entertainment area far from the garden that they really will head for the birdseed. The feeders here are actually NEAR the garden.

It doesn't matter though, because my miniature schnauzer has been eating my strawberries before the birds can get to them. When he was a puppy the vet told me to give him fruit and vegetables instead of dog biscuits for treats. Now he eats the beans, strawberries, even turnip and onion tops out of the garden.

Belle

#34406 April 25th, 2005 at 08:53 AM
4Ruddy Offline OP
Wild Woman
OP Offline
Wild Woman
hey Duckie....I never thought of putting water near the garden for the birds! I thought they were actually eating the mators becuse they are so yummy! nutz

It doesn't matter though, because my miniature schnauzer has been eating my strawberries before the birds can get to them.
That is SOOO funny...sounds like something that Afrgrey's critters would do! laugh laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard