This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#34272 May 4th, 2005 at 02:10 PM
Thank you, Katb, for starting this topic. Maybe we will both have better luck with our corn this year! muggs

Thanks, all, for the advice that y'all have so freely given. I am looking forward to better "cobs" this time around! laugh wink laugh

Dianna

#34273 May 4th, 2005 at 04:46 PM
hi longy,

thanks for the answer,i m glad corn in thingamajig is allright.

no,for now with the cold coming to an end(hopfully we ll be up in the 70 soon)my veggi are still all in pots but i cant wait to transplant them.

hey,did ya change your thing from "Australia east coast" to "down under east coast" or am i dreaming.

oh ya forgot to ask,: how long does the corn have to be before planting in soil.

one more thing from the news this morning:
if ya listen to the news you know what happened at my airport yesterday night,well don t worry i m ok, going back to work in a few minutes.

Dianna,i loove you moto at the end,where you got it or was it your thing,love it,don t ever forget your song people.

so good luck with the corn all.

crazy Franny.

#34274 May 4th, 2005 at 08:31 PM
did ya change your thing from "Australia east coast" to "down under east coast" or am i dreaming.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You're not dreaming Franny

oh ya forgot to ask,: how long does the corn have to be before planting in soil.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
When the roots are poking out the base of the square thingamejig. Otherwise, about 4 inches high give or take a bit. Give them (or anything else for that matter) a drink with a weak mix of liquid seaweed fert before and after transplanting and it'll help reduce transplant shock.

#34275 May 5th, 2005 at 05:35 AM
Hi,

thank you very much longy and have a good one.

#34276 May 5th, 2005 at 02:39 PM
Franny, I don't know who is the author of that little quote, but when I first read it, I thought about the meaning of true friendship and that quote was spot on.

Dianna

#34277 May 8th, 2005 at 03:12 PM
K
K
What's up guys and gals. Sorry I've been out of the fourm for a week or so, been chasing largemouth bass fry around. We grow Silver Queen sweet corn here in Alabama. Rows about 30" apart and work in some 13-13-13 before planting and again after knee high but in center of rows away from the base. If you have a corn planter you can save time by not having to thin it out. You can get a planter that comes with different inserts that plant more than just corn. Not very expensive. Good luck.

#34278 May 13th, 2005 at 05:03 PM
Hey all. If you're getting good tassels and tall, healthy plants but poor corn size or few kernels, pollination is your problem. Corn is wind pollinated, primarily, so the idea of planting in blocks is good. I've come across several references to planting corn in spirals so that the stalks can all sort of nod toward all the others in the wind...haven't tried this, but I've heard that the Native Americans did something like this. One more thing...if you plant the supersweets, the extremely hybridized sweetcorns, and you have regular sweetcorn close by and producing pollen at the same time, it will make the supersweets produce something like field corn.

#34279 May 13th, 2005 at 10:51 PM
aren't any of you afraid of cropcircles???
laugh laugh laugh wink grinnnn
i'm sorry i couldn't resist wink

#34280 June 11th, 2005 at 06:00 AM
hi peppereater,

yes you re absolutely right.native amerindians used to plant in three,used to call it ..the three sisters.if i recall it was corn,beans andcukes or squash.

had a good site talking bout it but just looked in fav. for you and i must ve erased it by mistake but if you do a search for it you should be able to find something about it.

good luck.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard