This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33556 April 8th, 2005 at 07:00 AM
OP Offline
hi! I got a wee problem. My african violet lost it's couple of flowers it had and I was wondering if it'll ever bloom again?? thanks!

#33557 April 8th, 2005 at 07:32 AM
O
O
It should. Mine go in and out of bloom all year long. I have mine by east and north windows. I've read that's what they prefer.

#33558 April 9th, 2005 at 01:13 AM
OP Offline
oh ok great thanks!

#33559 April 13th, 2005 at 01:24 AM
L
L
Give it fertilizer, give it light. Many people don't give them enough light, and they don't flower. I put mine in a dark corner, didn't bloom, and then I diagnosed the problem. Moved them to brighter light, bloomed very well. But that doesn't mean to burn them up smile .

#33560 April 13th, 2005 at 01:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My AV's do very well in my house....I have them semi close to the windows, but also near regular lamps....they bloom beautifully and the lamps don't damage the leaves, at least not on mine. I use bottom watering containers and AV food mixed into my watering can.....They are my favorite houseplants actually, I just bought a new one last night since it was my BD......It's purple around the edges and white inside the edges....really pretty.

They rebloom for me 3-4 times a year....just trim off the flowers when they die..

#33561 April 13th, 2005 at 03:21 AM
OP Offline
hi! thanks so much for the info and happy late bday loz!! your new av sounds like mine...mine had white flowers with purple edging. i'll try putting it near more sun :-) and with the av fertilizer that you put in your water when watering them....is it dirt or is it a powder stuff? do you reccomend a brand? thanks!

#33562 April 13th, 2005 at 10:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi and thanks for the birthday wishes.....

I actually use the liquid Miracle Grow African Violet food(I think it's in a purple bottle)......you just add several drops into your watering can....I find it easier than messing around with powders....and it really does seem to help them out!

Do you have a bottom watering pot for it Jamie???? They grow better with one of them...that way their leaves aren't getting wet. They also like to be in a pot that isn't too big....so get a pot for it that isn't much bigger than your actual plant.....

It's a pretty plant with those colors on the blooms isn't it? I just love all of mine. You can grow another AV plant from leaf cuttings, and I have one going now with leaves from all 4 of my violets, so it will be a mix of all the different colors--white, pink, purple, and white tipped with purple....can't wait for it to grow! thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard