This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33477 May 26th, 2005 at 11:50 PM
pcgrav Offline OP
OP Offline
teech O.K. All my gardening buddies--educate me... I need some help. I have looked on here and cannot find anything about my afore mentioned plant smile . I need help. It developed a case of leaf spot bacteria so I cut off all the bad leaves like I was supposed to put it in some brand new soil and watered it carefully. I ended up with two stems one having 3 brand new leaves the other having 1 brand new leaf on it. It is still growing from the main root formation. Here's my question-- Should I clip these two stems and simply root them or leave it all where it is. Do you think there are too many roots on the bottom of the plant?? I was a faily nice sized plant. When I repotted it, it had more leaves but as they opened I found them infected so I removed them... What do you think??? idea idea

#33478 May 27th, 2005 at 02:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Tricia,

I am not sure I understand what it is that you did and why you want to cut and replant.

Unless you had a lab test done, then you don't know that the leaf spots are bacterial in origin. In fact, they probably are not.

Repotting ailing plants usually aggravates problems, especially if the pot is too big. plants do best when their roots are hugged tight by the pot.

If you can post a photo or e-mail one to me at wcreed@horticulturalHelp.com, I might have a better understanding of the problem.

#33479 May 27th, 2005 at 03:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
plants do best when their roots are hugged tight by the pot.
I, too, am considering repotting a plant - a ming - and would appreciate clarification on your statement.

Won't roots dry out too quickly in a tight pot? This ming means the world to me and I would hate to inadvertently damage its roots by potting it into a pot the wrong size. How does one determine the optimal pot size for a given plant?

#33480 May 27th, 2005 at 04:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Cricket,

"plants do best when their roots are hugged tight by the pot."

As in some other aspects of life, a tight fit promotes the best growth.

Don't we all like to be hugged?

How else can I elaborate on this subject?

Scientific research has demonstrated that optimum plant growth occurs when the rootball is 80% roots and only 20% soil. You would probably consider that terribly rootbound. Profesional growers do not.

You cannot tell if a plant needs a bigger pot by the way it looks. If your Ming can go several days or more between thoough waterings, then there is enough soil relative to the roots. If it ever reaches the point where you have to soak it every day or two, then you can move it up one pot size.

Yes, plants in small pots will dry out more quickly. But that is a GOOD thing! As the soil dries, it allows oxygen back into the root zone and roots must have oxygen to live. Soil that stays moist for too long is soil that will cause root rot because they are deprived of oxygen.

Tight pots rule!! So leave your prized Ming alone.

Any questions?

Will

#33481 May 27th, 2005 at 04:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We do all like to be hugged!

I was judging pot size by appearance but as the Ming seems content in its current pot, I will leave it be. Thanks, Will! kissies

Link Copied to Clipboard