This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33383 January 12th, 2005 at 06:50 PM
OP Offline
Hi everyone, just a quick question, Duh can I plant my sweetpea seeds now? Thank you.

#33384 January 12th, 2005 at 08:17 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hello Princessazlea,
What growing zone is Manchester in??
Where is Manchester anyways? England??

And what time of year is it?
Or season I should say maybe??
spring, Summer??

And are you wondering about starting them in the house or outside??

Weezie

#33385 January 12th, 2005 at 09:09 PM
OP Offline
Hello Weezie13,
Thank you for replying back to me. I live in Manchester,England. The season is Winter, and I want to plant them outside. wavey

#33386 January 12th, 2005 at 11:44 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
My first reaction would be no....

But, what is your growing zone?

I am a 5 here and it's winter time too,
but I wouldn't even consider planting anything this time of year... but there's place's here in the states, that are zone 8, 9, and 10 would still considered winter and I'm sure they could do some type of planting.....

So, I believe it would be according to your growing zone for your answer?????
How are your winters? Do you get snow where you live or very mild temps???

Let us know!!!

Weezie

*anychance of starting them indoor?*

*****And we have a wonderful lady friend that lives over there, Jogger, hope you can see her on the boards and have a chat with her, she lives "Over the Pond" as well...we have a couple of members over there too!

#33387 January 14th, 2005 at 01:49 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I PM'd Jogger and this is what she had to say
about the England area and Sweet Peas!!!!

SWEET PEAS. I never plant them outside until the middle of March, as usually February is a treacherous month. I like to bring the seeds on indoors sometimes if the weather is particularly bad, then plant them out in May. Otherwise if the weather is not too bad l plant the seeds in their flowering position in the garden ln the middle of March, with plenty of canes for support. They are one of the easiest flowers to plant and one of the most fragrant I love them.
Thanks Doreen for the help!!!

Weezie

P/S I love them too, I planted some of the old fashioned (or Antique something like that) fragrant one's this year, they got a very late start but I had some wonderfully BEAUTIFUL flowers at the end of fall and smelled AWESOME!!!!
I will plant more of that kind

#33388 January 14th, 2005 at 04:03 AM
I planted mine out yesterday.I'm zone 8b TX our lows they claim are20-30.
I THINK you'd plant them in about now.I have an Allan Titmarsh book.the page on sweet peas says plant from sept-May and that they are hardy.Its on a page at chealsee gardens.if you go there............I like the cupids dart sweet peas.are pretty pink/fushia/white blends& are fragrant! they show some nice 18 inch tall ones for cut flowers too.gee amazeing what all ya'lls rain will grow grinnnn

#33389 January 14th, 2005 at 10:53 PM
OP Offline
Thank you for the advise Weezie13& njoyit. grinnnn

Link Copied to Clipboard