This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33216 January 2nd, 2005 at 08:40 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Someone just gave me a 2 gallon bucket full of tulip bulbs.
I will try to plant some, but it is January in Washington DC, and not the best of times for such doings.

Anybody have suggestions?

JoLee

#33217 January 2nd, 2005 at 09:02 PM
A
A
Is the ground frozen? If not, you could go ahead and plant them...or perhaps you could plant them all in pots and set them around your garden. That way you can move them around to different spots when they bloom.

#33218 January 3rd, 2005 at 01:15 PM
There was an article in one of last year's issues of Canadian Gardening. The writer told of going outside with some bulbs she got as a gift for Christmas. She put some snow over the spot where she wanted to put the bulbs. This softened the ground for her it seems. Then she went back and dug her holes and planted them.

They came up in spring and looked just as good a anybody else's tulips.

I was given a bag of them from my neighbour next door - so sweet of her. I put them in the fridge. That's what an old chap who used to live in this building did every year - he let them sprout in the fridge and put them on his balcony in spring -he swore by that system.

I don't know - I'm undecided on that one.

I might just put them in a pot and let them come up in the window. Washington? I think that's what you oughta' do too.

Good luck with that.

#33219 January 4th, 2005 at 07:34 PM
being not too far from D.C. myself, I know that the ground has thawed in the recent warm spell. I'd go ahead and plant them outside! I have some daff bulbs I've neglected to put in, but we have a chance through this weekend! Yeay! If they're not dried out , they should do just fine.

Link Copied to Clipboard