This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33021 September 12th, 2005 at 08:34 PM
OP Offline
I bought two anthuriums a couple months ago and they were just beautiful for at least a month. However, the have been on a slow but steady decline for a three weeks now. The "blossoms" have all faded and turned brown, no new are present and very few new leave are sprouting. Both plants are in bright indirect light and get appropriate amounts of water. Could it be a fertilizer issue or is this sad stage just part of their reproductive cycle? Any help is appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

#33022 September 14th, 2005 at 08:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how often are you watering them? they need to be kept at a constant water level. also, they may be getting too much sun - indirect light is good...it doesn't need to be too bright tho.

you might want to check to see if they need to be put in a larger pot - if there are roots coming out of the drain holes, it's time to repot.

#33023 September 14th, 2005 at 10:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
and remember, they "cycle" like all living things... need a break sometimes!

#33024 September 14th, 2005 at 06:03 PM
C
C
I always cut off the blossoms when they start to fade. I think if you don't cut them off then your plant won't produce new ones.

#33025 September 22nd, 2005 at 10:32 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for all the input guys! I really appreciate it. I think it may be the watering. I'm a bit sporadic in that area thanks to my CRAZY thumbup

#33026 September 23rd, 2005 at 02:48 AM
B
B
Anthuriums actually dont need a lot of water, so letting them dry out between waterings can't be hurting that much. Sounds like it has the right amount of sun...

When i was moving a few months ago, my anthurium was accidently misplaced and left behind, and turned sickly like you described. When i brought it back, i stuck it with my other full sun tropical plants infront of my non-shaded south window... it got even worse frown I then moved it to a shaded bright light area of the house, and its begining to pick up a little again.

#33027 September 23rd, 2005 at 10:02 PM
OP Offline
Well, they definately aren't in full sun, but they are perhaps getting more light than they would like. I'll shift them around and see if there is any change.

#33028 October 21st, 2005 at 09:42 PM
I grow mine in the ground in my shade bed(*rita rescaped it as a partial shade bed),my red one blooms almost constant& my pink one has issues,but know he'll perk up in his pot next month.I cold GH them in our winter.they get the humidity naturally year round.I water my beds daily durring the hot summer then less when in 80s unless its windy.I'm not sure I even water them in winter.maybe once a month. my red is still in its mostly shade spot.it gets a spot of AM sun for almost 2 hours.Pink will have to move next year.

Link Copied to Clipboard