This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32716 April 13th, 2005 at 09:06 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hello again I also have a question about strawberries I have tried serveral times to plant them in a container I bought for starting them and no matter where I have put them ( in the house or outside) ants have found them and I guess they eat the seeds cause I haven't even seen sprouts what should I do or should I give up on seeds altogether and use starter plants?

#32717 April 13th, 2005 at 10:55 PM
hello again to you peaches grinnnn
i would use starter plants. i did that last year and i only had to fight off squirrels and chipmonks,never saw ants grinnnn

#32718 April 15th, 2005 at 03:19 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Peaches,

I'd go with the plant starts too,
only cause I've never seen anyone selling seeds..

Doooooooo tell me, where on earth did you find
strawberry seeds???
SO VERY CURIOUS!!!

And don't forget to plant the plants half in and half out...(You don't want to plant too deep or the plant won't live, and same for when it's too far out of the ground...)

If you do a FORUM SEARCH and type in STRAWBERRIES, and you'll find one of the posts I posted, that had an illustration on how deep to plant them..

Weezie

P.S. Please let us know gab how you make out
when either way you pick to do your strawberries.
We cool LOVE luv updates crit

Weezie

#32719 April 15th, 2005 at 10:50 PM
P
OP Offline
P
thanks for all your help ps thanks I already saw your posts on how deep to plant big help thankyou also I bought the seeds in a strawberry kit @walmart I bought it for my daughters I tried plants last year the squirels ale them all and the ants ate the seeds...I went ahead and did starters again

#32720 April 20th, 2005 at 07:02 AM
P
P
I've found that seed tends to be heirloom varieties; alpine strawberry seeds are not difficult to find. Most catalogs sell starter plants. If you are starting strawberries from seed, you need to stratify them: i.e. put them in the freezer for 2-4 weeks. Then plant them. That usually gets them going.

Link Copied to Clipboard