This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32667 April 21st, 2005 at 03:41 PM
OP Offline
Has anyone had any luck transplanting morning glories?? i got way ahead of my self when starting these beauties from seed. i didn't read throughly about them and now i find out they dont survive transplanting......i'm so sad!!!!! i was hoping somebody hear has transplanted morning glories with success?????? i've aready got mine outdoors in the ground, they haven't died.....i dunno....you plant the seed....wait patiently for it to sprout....nurture them....then they dont want to behave.....whats a parent to do....lol....Thanks, Linda

#32668 April 22nd, 2005 at 01:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Linda, I'm growing some of them myself--and I read that they don't handle transplanting well....so I started them out in peat pots that way I can just transplant them right in the pot and not disturb the roots and the plant.

How long have you had them planted out in the ground for????? wavey

#32669 April 22nd, 2005 at 02:18 AM
OP Offline
Hi Laura.....I guess the good news is I still have some seeds left. Do you think its to late to start them in the peat pots? Ive had them outside for about 5 days now.....they look ok, but time will tell. Thanks for your input!!

Linda

#32670 April 22nd, 2005 at 03:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if you feel you must transplant them, then take a spoon or small trowel and scoop as much dirt with them as you can, trying not to disturb the roots. kinda like scooping about twice as much dirt as the leaves are big. it can be done, but it is hard...

#32671 April 22nd, 2005 at 04:10 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Linda...
Jiffy is right on...scoop up as much dirt as you can with the roots.
I move/transplant Morning Glories all the time and never have a problem. I guess that's because I didn't have any idea that they were hard to transplant! laugh

Now that I'm aware of that, I guess I will have trouble! :rolleyes:

Please don't tell me zinnias are hard to transplant...I move them all over he!! and back all summer long.

cindy

#32672 April 22nd, 2005 at 04:16 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
LOL, I love you cindy your great. I read the "bad bird" string it was hilarious. If I can move Zinnia anyone can move Zinnia and they survived me.

#32673 April 22nd, 2005 at 05:04 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
laugh
DANG! Ever since I read that awhile ago...
..that Morning Glories are hard to transplant...
...I've felt JINXED! sca laugh
You know...the old saying "What you don't know won't hurt you"!

Oh...and the "Bad Bird"..... lala
...awhile ago she told me I needed a "time out"! laugh
She's a trip!

#32674 April 23rd, 2005 at 04:38 PM
OP Offline
uh..oh!!!!!! you mean zinnias are the same way?? oh dear!!!!!! well, i agree with cindy.....what ya dont know wont hurt ya! thanks for the input on the mg's......i will try to scoop up as much dirt as possible. they've been in for a about a week now.....they haven't died, but i've noticed no new growth on them.....;-(

Thanks, Linda

#32675 April 23rd, 2005 at 05:49 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Darn it ALL!!!! You guys have made me crazy now!(like I had a far to go)(NOT) I didn't know that morning glories were hard to transplant and have a million seeds already sprouted...I just thought that was the way you were supose to do it! But for some reason I always plant my zinnias in the bed where they are suppose to be so haven't ever had to transplant them. WELL...I'm gonna transplant them anyway...and we will see...just can't do it for a while it is suppose to get down to 32 tonight mad

#32676 April 23rd, 2005 at 06:24 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
First of all.....
you mean zinnias are the same way?? oh dear!!!!!!
No, they aren't. They are obviously the easiest to transplant.
I don't think you CAN kill zinnias! laugh
My comment, " Please don't tell me zinnias are hard to transplant..." was in jest because they are so easy to transplant!

.....they haven't died, but i've noticed no new growth on them....
Key words here..."haven't died".
There ya go! Duh
Maybe I'll sleep outside curled around the Brugs so my body heat will keep them alive.
(Hot flashes might be good for something after all!) :rolleyes: lala

Cindy

#32677 April 24th, 2005 at 03:43 AM
well with my experience last year with morning glories...I didn't have a problem transplanting them at all and I was a really new gardener then lol laugh shocked

#32678 April 27th, 2005 at 07:21 PM
I have planted morning glories every year in window boxes and then transplanted them into the ground. Although I have always known they don’t respond well to being disturbed, I move them every year anyway and they usually wilt for a couple hours but I just keep them nice and wet and they always perk right up and pull through...there hasn't ever been a time when they died!! I find them extremely easy to grow...they always germinate within 2 or 3 days and then are about 4 inches tall the day after they pop out of the soil.... Does this happen to anyone else??? Also, at my old house we had a screen house, however a few years ago we took the screens out and I kept some of the morning glories in the window boxes and placed them in the windows where the screens used to be and wound twine diagonally across all of the windows for them to grow up...so once the plants were mature the windows were covered with gorgeous greens and a variety of colored morning glories!! It really was Be-A-U-tiful!!!

#32679 April 27th, 2005 at 07:25 PM
I transplant MGs all the time.guess I been lucky.I also move my zinnias around.I transplanted my green envy last year cause didn't look good with purple& moved some oranges cause some were 5 ft tall.I also learned the seeds can overwinter here and sprout in spring.....so some will be re locateing from a bed cause its pinks& reds& purple foliage stuff.

**Cindy.burgs can be covered with sheets or a box over them.they would be fine if no frost& if zaps leaves can pull leaves nd they'll get new ones.uhh sorry...its the 27th now and think ya needed to hear this like the 23rd,just give um a shot of fertilizer and applogize :rolleyes:

I also when 1st started gardening would grow MGs in cups and transplant out.I just toss seeds and water and go about my gardening now.i'm getting sprouts everywhere& will be sowing some more shortly.

Link Copied to Clipboard