This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#32575 August 9th, 2005 at 01:41 AM
Hi there

I am very new to plants and growing techniques. Someone I know with a Dracaena plant has told me to pot it when it has grown roots... it is now just over a year old and still has no roots. Originally the instructions were to keep in in a small pot with water. When do I pot it???

Also, some of its leaves have turned brown but most are still green, do I just take these dead leaves off for regrowth? Or leave them?

I hope someone can help me...

Thanks,

Jo

#32576 August 9th, 2005 at 06:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Jo,

I am glad that you inquired BEFORE you repotted. smile When to repot is the most commonly misunderstood concept in caring for potted plants. frown

Potted plants do best when they are quite rootbound. How do you tell when it is TOO rootbound and in need of a larger pot?

Water your D. marginata thoroughly (until a little water runs through the drainage holes). Then check the soil after 3 days. If the top quarter of the soil feels very dry, then it is probably time to put it into a pot one size larger.

If the top quarter of the soil does not feel dry after 3 days, then it does not need a larger pot and it will not need water until the soil reaches that level of dryness.

#32577 August 9th, 2005 at 07:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Jo,

Your post suggests you have a dracaena cutting that you have been trying to root in water for a year now. Is that correct? I don't know much about rooting dracaenas but it seems that a year is excessively lengthy for roots to develop.

Do you know what kind of dracaena it is?

Cricket

#32578 August 9th, 2005 at 10:41 AM
C
C
Hey~
just wondering, does anyone else just propagate their Dracaena Fragans with rooting hormones?

#32579 August 9th, 2005 at 03:53 PM
Hi again

Thanks for your help so far, I think it is a Dracaena fragrans Massangeana. Does that make sense? It has gained lots of leaves but the main trunk has not grown (i dont know if its meant to) and there are no roots after a year.

Thanks again,

Jo

#32580 August 10th, 2005 at 05:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Jo,

Dracaena fragrans Massangeana is commonly known as "Corn plant". Has it been in water the entire year while you are waiting for roots? Wow, that is a long time to wait for root development!

Will Creed or someone else knowledgeable about Corn plant propagation will be able to better advise you but if the cutting has new growth I wouldn't give up hope. I have a Dracaena Sanderiana (more commonly known as Lucky Bamboo) cutting that is only just beginning to root after months in water.

#32581 August 10th, 2005 at 03:18 PM
Great, thanks very much for your help! I have some hope now that it will still grow roots. Yes, it has been in water the whole year without root development. Ill see what happens to it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jo

#32582 August 16th, 2005 at 09:43 AM
OP Offline
Hi all...
I just thought I would update you on the progress of the original two stems, one stem from the shortened water-submerged top, and the new branch on the mom plant.
Sorry some of these are not in good focus. I thought I knew how to use macro mode..but I guess I need a steadier hand.

The 'setting':
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/kathpdx/4da5d480.jpg

The sprouted logs (all three!)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/kathpdx/bd4b19ee.jpg

the baby on the mom-plant:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/kathpdx/7c543310.jpg

I'm about to pot the 2 original stems ("logs"), and will be putting them in their new small pots root down, 'branch' up even though this will make them initially horizontal. It'll get itself oriented soon enough (i hope.)

#32583 August 16th, 2005 at 09:50 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Kath,
Just have to pop in here,
been following the thread,
you did very nice work!!!
All three look great and healthy!!!

#32584 August 17th, 2005 at 03:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
clp

#32585 August 18th, 2005 at 10:31 AM
OP Offline
Let me ask a question about etiquette here. I want to keep showing the progress of the various offspring of this propagation effort. (I'm very excited how all the forms are taking off!) Should I start a new thread, or is it okay to keep adding it on here?
If I was new here and (important point) interested in the topic, I guess I would like seeing the thread intact. However, maybe I'm just in my own private little excited-about-my-dracaenas world!
(I have new pictures, but I'm going to wait for the community to let me know how to behave!! shocked )

Kath

#32586 August 19th, 2005 at 03:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kath.....,

I think your behavior is exemplary and your photo contributions enlightening. But I am not the arbiter of content here; just another User like you.

There are a number of Hostesses here (never Hosts, for some reason!) who will inform you of thread guidelines.

#32587 August 19th, 2005 at 04:13 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
For me, I like to have a continual thread,
so, any one looking for info can find it in
one post... but, also if you start a second thread
to link this post with the first post, so any
one new coming along can also follow your
awesome job and pictures..
(and I can imagine the excitement of getting
them growing...plants have a way of doing that to you) kissies grinnnn

So, you pick!!!
Continue on this one, or start a whole new one,
and link it here to this one..
*pm if you don't know how or I will link it for you*

#32588 August 20th, 2005 at 08:02 AM
OP Offline
Egg-sail-ant! I'll continue here. As soon as I upload my other photos! THANKS Weez!!

#32589 August 22nd, 2005 at 11:40 AM
OP Offline
Okay, then.. here are the promised results (so far)!

These photos are the resulting three (of soon to be 4) now-potted plants that have come from the stem cuttings and top of my originally too-horizontal dracaena stock.

I think I'm delighted with the way this 'top' looks, it should be a very interesing plant, don't ya think?!
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/kathpdx/PICT0004_1.jpg
I'll be keeping it aiming toward (and working for) the light to bring it back toward & over the pot.

And the stem cuttings -
here they are just freshly potted, temporarily tented, and completely horizontal:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/kathpdx/Justpotted.jpg

And HERE they are, just a few days later... straightening right up!!
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/kathpdx/8-21DracBabies.jpg

I have one more section of log/stem that has sprouted and it will probably be ready to be planted in a week or two.

This is AMAZING! I never would have guessed that propagation could be so fun & easy!! (Not to mention.. sooooo satisfying!)

#32590 August 29th, 2005 at 03:12 AM
OP Offline
New problem?? Maybe need a new post, but I'll try here first...

I think my "outdoor vacation" for my adult dracaena has resulted in it being top heavy. You can see the change from the end of July to the end of Aug... I now have another "horizontal" stalk. Am I going to have to conduct surgery again or can I PROP IT UP?

JULY:
[Linked Image]

And NOW, end of August:
[Linked Image]

AND if I ought to consider propagation surgery, frown will the time of year affect this? Moving into fall... slower success of stem cuttings?
I would like to make an educated choice. confused

I know I read somewhere (from Will I think) that putting a Dracaena outside and the stalk and leaves will get thicker. This is obviously true which I tried to capture here (on July 17th).

[Linked Image]

My good intentions may have gone awry.... sca shk

#32591 August 29th, 2005 at 04:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Kath...,

For a 5-month old, you take excellent photos!

Your previously posted photos are excellent examples of your propagation technique and success. They also demonstrate the power of photo-tropism or the power of light (the sun) to influence the direction of growth. Actually, I liked the little guys when they were in plastic and confronting each other head-on.

In your recent photos, we see Mother Nature following her perfectly logical course. When plants are moved to better conditions (in this case better light outside), the NEW growth comes in much stronger and thicker. However, the OLD growth is already established and remains weaker and thinner. So the top of your Marginata is now too heavy for the lower, thinner stem to maintain in an upright position. That's why it is leaning.

If you let Nature follow her course, the stem will bend way down to the horizontal or below and then the top will continue to orient itself upward. The result will be an interesting, undulating stem. Some growers manipulate this process deliberately in order to create interesting curves in Marginata stems. They are then able to sell them at premium prices.

If you prefer the vertical look, then the solution is to cut back the stem in question to a height of 12 inches or less. That will eliminate most of the lower (weaker) stem. The new growth after that (assuming you can continue to provide good light) will be stronger and thicker and better able to maintain a vertical position. Of course, the problem is that you will soon have to move it back inside where the light is reduced. Now if you were to add a greenhouse to your house, then this wouldn't matter!

I hope I haven't made this too complicated or exceeded the space limits, but you seem to have an inquisitive mind to go along with your green thumb and photography skills!

Let me know if you need clarity.

#32592 August 29th, 2005 at 07:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some further thoughts.

You can move the leaning stem to a vertical position and then pack the soil in tight around it to hold it vertical. You may need to repeat this every week or two, but it looks better than crutches.

Check for spider mites. I do see some dust particles and webby stuff (thanks to your excellent photography!) that might be spider mites. Marginatas are very mite prone.

#32593 August 30th, 2005 at 09:51 PM
OP Offline
A SUN ROOM! What a Great Idea! grinnnn
How funny you should mention.. I am really trying to work on that right now!! But at the rate my lender is responding I don't know if I'll get it before NEXT spring! perpl Guess I'll have to conduct surgery again, cuz my home light is awwwweful! eek

#32594 August 30th, 2005 at 09:53 PM
OP Offline
Check for spider mites. I do see some dust particles and webby stuff (thanks to your excellent photography!) that might be spider mites.
I will check! Hopefully that webby stuff is just a dandylion weed seed ...

Out comes the Fertilome RTU!! mad Get them critters off!!!

#32595 August 31st, 2005 at 04:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A sunroom is a terrific idea for your plants wink , if not for your bank account. frown Be sure to post photos.

What is Fertilome? What are the active ingredients?

#32596 August 31st, 2005 at 06:21 AM
OP Offline
Ferti*lome "triple action plus RTU" (It was sold to my by someone I trust)
has as active ingredients:
Pyrethrins .02%
Piperonyl Butoxide, Technical .20%
Clarified Hydrophobic Extract of Neem Oil .90%
+Other 98.88%

"Broad spectrum insecticide, fungicide, and miticide for control of insects, diseases and mites on vegetables fuits, nuts, herbs, spices, roses, flowers and shrubs. Can be used up to day of harvest."

Can I use this safely? grinnnn :rolleyes:

I got it initially for a new (in large pot) maple that was struggling... or at least looking peeked.

#32597 August 31st, 2005 at 06:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Despite the "Triple Action" hyperbole, Fertilome is a weak pesticide that is probably no more effective then non-pesticide treatments such as soap, alcohol, and horticultural oil. (BTW, RTU is not a secret ingredient; it is code language for Ready-To-Use).

As pesticides go, this one is relatively safe, assuming you follow the precautions listed in very fine print.

I don't recommend using broad spectrum pesticides. Use a pesticide that is designated for the specific pest that you are trying to control. Why add more fungicide to the environment if you are just trying to control spider mites?

#32598 August 31st, 2005 at 09:32 PM
OP Offline
Besides plumbing the depths of your wisdom one pest at a time, perpl ) - is simple mild diluted soap enough?

I'm thinking surgery is also in store for my horizontal branch, so I'll stick with soap unless I hear back since I'm about to stress that poor baby drastically.

("Sick days off of work are for plant care at home!") lala

#32599 September 1st, 2005 at 01:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have written an article on safe and effective treatment of the most common indoor plant pests.

I will e-mail the article to anyone who sends a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard