This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31130 February 26th, 2005 at 05:28 AM
OP Offline
Hi all. As you know, I have an indoor garden. However I do have houseplants in it too! I have a rubber plant that has gotten WAY TOO BIG! It's about 5 1/2 feet tall, and taking up a whole corner in my room. With all the branches, it's almost 4 feet wide. The stalks on it are over 2-3 inches in diameter. My question is, how do I stop it from growing? Can I cut it back a bit? Also, is it possible to take cuttings from it? The stalks are just soo thick that I thought it might "bleed to death" if I cut it back.

Any suggestions?

#31131 February 26th, 2005 at 04:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
rubber plants - ficus elastica - are one of the most resillient plants there are. if you cut the tips (top 3-5 leaves - or so) and plop them in the soil, they'll root rather well.

if you cut the plant back hard, it will be fine. won't bleed to death at all. in fact, i cut one back very hard yesterday.

and, if you want to retard the growth, don't pot it up every time it looks like it has outgrown it's pot. let it set for a while longer... all plants will continue to grow to meet their environment, until they reach their potential!

#31132 February 26th, 2005 at 07:11 PM
OP Offline
Perfect! Thank you soo much. The pot it's in is already way to small. I've been trying to slow it down for awhile. But I'm gonna cut it back today! Thanks for your help.

Link Copied to Clipboard